MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: UTF-8 Conversion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
My question is  Do you recommend activating/enabling this function of UTF-8 Conversion?
I see there is exclamation in System Health  UTF-8 Conversion:

Quote:It is recommend not to use different encodings in your database. This may cause unexpected behavior or MySQL errors.

Also after converting all tables to:

Quote:4-Byte UTF-8 Support (requires MySQL 5.5.3 or above)

UTF-8 Status.

It gives me the following warning/exclamation:

Quote:For full 4-Byte UTF-8 support you need to change $config['database']['encoding'] = 'utf8'; to $config['database']['encoding'] = 'utf8mb4'; in your inc/config.php.

When i change 'utf8 'utf8mb4'. Everything works fine.

Now, After all that. Is activating/enabling this function will cause any future problems/bugs?
AND, Is the function is suspicious of problems?
I hope anyone give me fully descriptive answer & advise.
Lastly, Thanks a lot. Big Grin
Keep in mind that is not something that you enable or active, it is a function that upgrades your tables permanently to a new encoding, so if you did not encounter any problem, mainly in your posts, characters that are not showing correctly, the upgrade process was succesfull (how it should be, it is a stable upgrade system).
(2019-06-17, 08:25 AM)Mipher Wrote: [ -> ]Keep in mind that is not something that you enable or active, it is a function that upgrades your tables permanently to a new encoding, so if you did not encounter any problem, mainly in your posts, characters that are not showing correctly, the upgrade process was succesfull (how it should be, it is a stable upgrade system).
Hello,
I don't understand what do you means?
Can you please give an advice?
Do you recommend upgrading tables permanently to a new encoding? Or not!
Thanks in advance. Smile
(2019-06-17, 08:19 PM)iKsu Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-17, 08:25 AM)Mipher Wrote: [ -> ]Keep in mind that is not something that you enable or active, it is a function that upgrades your tables permanently to a new encoding, so if you did not encounter any problem, mainly in your posts, characters that are not showing correctly, the upgrade process was succesfull (how it should be, it is a stable upgrade system).
Hello,
I don't understand what do you means?
Can you please give an advice?
Do you recommend upgrading tables permanently to a new encoding? Or not!
Thanks in advance. Smile

In summary... he's telling you... 'If it ain't broken, don't fix it!"

Leave your database alone, don't be messing around with it unless you are an expert on MySQL.
(2019-06-17, 08:25 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]In summary... he's telling you... 'If it ain't broken, don't fix it!"

Leave your database alone, don't be messing around with it unless you are an expert on MySQL.
This means that you don't recommend using this function?
(2019-06-17, 08:38 PM)iKsu Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-17, 08:25 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]In summary... he's telling you... 'If it ain't broken, don't fix it!"

This means that you don't recommend using this function?

There is no need to use it. Leave it alone.
Wait, have not you already converted your tables? My english is a bit spaghetti but I understood so. I actually recommend to convert them: utf8 is becoming "old" and nowadays you need to support new characters (mainly symbols, including emoji), so you must upgrade to utf8mb4 in order to support this new characters, there is no reason to stay with utf8 tables.

What I was trying to say:

(2019-06-16, 08:18 PM)iKsu Wrote: [ -> ]Do you recommend activating/enabling this function of UTF-8 Conversion?
It is not something that you enable or active, it is a function that upgrades your tables permanently to a new encoding (not really new, it is more an extension).

(2019-06-16, 08:18 PM)iKsu Wrote: [ -> ]Now, After all that. Is activating/enabling this function will cause any future problems/bugs?
If you did not encounter any problem after the upgrade process, mainly in your posts, characters that are not showing correctly, the upgrade process has been succesfull (how it should be, it is a stable upgrade system).

Naturally, for prevention, make a backup just before upgrading your tables.
(2019-06-19, 01:07 PM)Mipher Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, have not you already converted your tables? My english is a bit spaghetti but I understood so. I actually recommend to convert them: utf8 is becoming "old" and nowadays you need to support new characters (mainly symbols, including emoji), so you must upgrade to utf8mb4 in order to support this new characters, there is no reason to stay with utf8 tables.

What I was trying to say:

(2019-06-16, 08:18 PM)iKsu Wrote: [ -> ]Do you recommend activating/enabling this function of UTF-8 Conversion?
It is not something that you enable or active, it is a function that upgrades your tables permanently to a new encoding (not really new, it is more an extension).

(2019-06-16, 08:18 PM)iKsu Wrote: [ -> ]Now, After all that. Is activating/enabling this function will cause any future problems/bugs?
If you did not encounter any problem after the upgrade process, mainly in your posts, characters that are not showing correctly, the upgrade process has been succesfull (how it should be, it is a stable upgrade system).

Naturally, for prevention, make a backup just before upgrading your tables.
Hello,
Thanks a lot for your explanation.