MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Possible to disable Read/Unread system?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I couldn't find any previous instance of this question, but is there a simple toggle somewhere to disable the display of the large Read/Unread icons? We have a large forum and nobody uses the read/unread system, and the screen real estate is at a premium.

I'm not a programmer, but am gingerly modifying the default theme templates to fit better on small (or mobile) screens while we wait for 1.9... but I don't want to change too much by manually deleting code snippets in 100 scattered template files that I can never find twice... so if there's a "setting" to turn off those giant dots it would buy us some space and save me hours of frustration... thanks in advance!
There's no option to do this.

forumbit_depth2_forum, forumbit_depth2_cat templates:

Find and remove:

<td class="{$bgcolor}" align="center" width="1"><span class="forum_status forum_{$lightbulb['folder']} ajax_mark_read" title="{$lightbulb['altonoff']}" id="mark_read_{$forum['fid']}"></span></td>

forumbit_depth1_cat template:

Change colspan="5" to colspan="4"

<td class="thead{$expthead}" colspan="5">

Index template:

remove the legend if you have not already done so:

<dl class="forum_legend smalltext">
	<dt><span class="forum_status forum_on" title="{$lang->new_posts}"></span></dt>
	<dd>{$lang->new_posts}</dd>

<dt><span class="forum_status forum_off" title="{$lang->no_new_posts}"></span></dt>
	<dd>{$lang->no_new_posts}</dd>

<dt><span class="forum_status forum_offclose" title="{$lang->forum_closed}"></span></dt>
	<dd>{$lang->forum_closed}</dd>

<dt><span class="forum_status forum_offlink" title="{$lang->forum_redirect}"></span></dt>
	<dd>{$lang->forum_redirect}</dd>
</dl>
<br class="clear" />
Thanks for the quick reply. I'd post this as a feature request, but I get the feeling the MyBB team have too much pressure to finish v1.9 to even consider any new feature requests.

Our recent forum statistics show that 70% of visitors are on mobile phones, so the ability to turn off any visual clutter... and improve load times, reduce download data, etc... is a priority for us. (for example to use native System-UI fonts instead of downloading Google fonts, etc...). Thinking about it, the ability to toggle on/off the display and/or position of all kinds of things would be a great benefit, but I guess it would make programming more complicated. Thanks again.

... and in case anyone else needs to do this, in addition to the code above, one also needs to go in to:

Forum Display Templates > forumdisplay_subforums line 6

delete:

<td class="tcat" width="2%">&nbsp;</td>