MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Does back end have to be PHP based?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am currently at the beginning stages of creating a website, for which I will be using mybb. My experience is in dot-net, and I would probably be more effective creating a dot-net web app.

I am open to learning a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) infrastructure, but it would take more time. My question is whether it is required that the entire back-end be in PHP? Will I quickly run into issues with C# and PHP being under the same roof? Or is mybb separated enough from the platform where this wouldn't be an issue? Or perhaps it would be fine but not recommended?

I am afraid to continue further and then have to backtrack to a completely different back-end infrastructure.

Hi by the way I am new, seems like a cool thing you all have here
Back-end, or ACP, uses lot of functions from MyBB core. Imagine that MyBB is a dedicated framework, front and ACP are just interfaces using this core (and extend it).
You can recreate ACP, but you'll have to recreate a lot of parts of the core, and this will need to understant how it works... So you'll have to understand PHP...
Learn PHP, having another language in your knowledges can only be a benefit for you.

P.S.: I know and use a lot of language, and learn another one each time I need.
(2019-07-12, 10:10 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]Back-end, or ACP, uses lot of functions from MyBB core. Imagine that MyBB is a dedicated framework, front and ACP are just interfaces using this core (and extend it).
You can recreate ACP, but you'll have to recreate a lot of parts of the core, and this will need to understant how it works... So you'll have to understand PHP...
Learn PHP, having another language in your knowledges can only be a benefit for you.

P.S.: I know and use a lot of language, and learn another one each time I need.

Not really sure what ACP is but I think I get the jist of it. I would lose functionality with C#/dotnet so its time to go LAMP! Thanks that could of been a deeeep rabbit hole. Nothing against learning PHP, just trying to find the most efficient path.

It actually seems like a pretty interesting language, from what I can see some sort of weird mix between C# and python. That probably sounds like nonsense to you but its got the whole dynamic type and function thing going on, but the function declarations are static with a private/public/protected deal.