MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Search not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I have MyBB 1.8.21, using default theme, and search is very buggy.

For example, a recent thread is titled,  Hello, What is this? 

If I search for  What is this  MyBB reports "Sorry no results..."
If I search for  Hello   MyBB reports "Sorry no results..."

This is true whether using the Quick Search field in the header's black bar, or using Advanced Search.

What am I doing wrong (if anything)? And how do I fix it?

There is a recent bug fix for "stopwords" ... but I don't know what that is. Can't Mybb just search for whatever words the user enters... preferably as a "phrase". I get that words like "what", "is", "this" are common, but the phrase "what is this" is exactly what I'm searching. Why is this a problem? Ugh.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I created a test thread with your title, and can't replicate your result. i.o.w if you do the search, the thread is returned in the results.
I've confirmed that this is an issue with "mysql stopwords"... which I know nothing about.

Any word on this list, which is quite long (bottom of the linked page) will not search in MyBB.

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/...words.html

Is there a way to make search a bit smarter... such as, if there are any stopwords entered in the Search field then search for a phrase? Like this:
https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/...account-st

Is there a way to reduce or eliminate the "stopwords" that doesn't require a PhD in programming? I'm on a cheap shared hosting plan at a large hosting provider, all I know is it's a Linux server, PHP 7.1.14, MySQL 5.6.41-84.1

I understand the "thinking" to avoid searching for the word "the"... but this list effectively hobbles search.

Thanks.
(2019-07-14, 01:25 AM)gimbal Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a way to reduce or eliminate the "stopwords" that doesn't require a PhD in programming? I'm on a cheap shared hosting plan at a large hosting provider, all I know is it's a Linux server, PHP 7.1.14, MySQL 5.6.41-84.1

This is not a MyBB problem. If there is a configuration problem with MySQL, then your host is the people to be talking to.
In case this helps anyone else to resolve Search issues in MyBB 1.8.21, I was able to solve my problem.

Please note I am not a programmer, and I took some risk, after verifying this should work on my version, and it did.
Your Mileage May Vary.

SUMMARY:
The problem was that Search was returning zero results for a long list of common words (like "what", "today", etc.). 
MySQL has a built in list of  stopwords  which are omitted from the  fulltext index  of tables  when the index is created.

That last part is important - lots of advice tells you how to turn off the stopwords, but you also have to reindex.

There are 2 common sets of default stopwords, depending how old your MySQL is:
MySQL Table Type used to be MyISAM - which had 500 or so stopwords (making search useless).
MySQL version 5.6 and above, Table Type InnoDB is an option - which only has 36 stopwords.
MySQL 5.6 Fulltext stopwords

I discoverd mine were the MyISAM simply by searching for the words in the large list - all returned zero search results.

The solution was to convert all MyBB's MySQL tables to InnoDB, and then recreate the fulltext indexes on 3 table columms:
mybb_posts > subject
mybb_posts > message
mybb_threads > subject

You should read up on the differences between the 2 table types in MySQL and the implications on search, they both have pros and cons, apparently. However, it seems that MyISAM is on its way out, and InnoDB is the new preferred type.

My installation of MyBB is on a shared server at a large hosting company, Apache, PHP version 7.1.14, MySQL version 5.6.14

STEPS TO FIX MY SEARCH in MYBB:

1. I logged in to MyBB Admin (ACP) to check what versions of MyBB, MySQL and PHP I was running.
2. I logged in to my cPanel > PHPMyAdmin > mybbdatabase
3. I converted EVERY table >by doing this... Selecting each table one at a time:
    For each table, clicked on Operations tab > Table Options > changed the Storage Engine to InnoDB and clicked "Go"
4. I then clicked on the parent mybbdatabase on the left of PHPMyAdmin, then the SQL tab, and entered this code:
SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.INNODB_FT_DEFAULT_STOPWORD;
   That should result in a list of 36 words that will be omitted from the fulltext index when recreated for searches.

5. To force the Posts and Threads to reindex with the new, shorter stoplist, I entered the following in the SQL tab, which appears to be a simple way to trigger the tables to reindex the fulltext indexes:
alter table mybb_posts engine=innodb;
alter table mybb_threads engine=innodb;

6. Next, might have been unnecessary, but I went back to each table > Operations tab > Table Maintenance > Optimize table

The result is that now I can search for any word other than the 36 in the shorter default InnoDB stopwords list.... 

7. I wanted real full text search (no words omitted), so following advice on other forums: 
  • I created my own stopwords table  mybb_stopwords  
  • I added a single entry  stopwords1  
  • Set MySQL to use that as the stopwords reference table, and 
  • Finally recreated the indexes, now omitting only the single word.

In cPanel > PHPMyAdmin > mybbdatabase > SQL tab (note use your own database and table names, and single stopword entry...)
CREATE TABLE mybb_stopwords(value VARCHAR(30)) ENGINE = INNODB;
INSERT INTO mybb_stopwords(value) VALUES ('stopword1');
set innodb_ft_enable_stopword="on";
set session innodb_ft_user_stopword_table='mybbdatabase/mybb_stopwords';

This seemed to work. Now there were only 2 more limitations to search in MyBB:

MySQL has a default minimum search word length of 3 or 4. In the latest upgrade of MyBB > ACP > Configuration > Settings > Search System, you can modifly the Minimum Search Word Length. If you leave zero in the field, it defaults to whatever MySQL on your server is, 3 or 4. I put 2 and that works.

Last, there is advice out there that you can simply add code to the my.cnf file at the root of your server, which contains settings for MySQL, to turn off stopwords. However, on a shared server, you are unable to reboot MySQL for the change to take effect (unless your hosting provider agrees). My host advised me that any code in that file gets loaded periodically, but we'll see. Also, I think that even if you are able to turn off the stopwords via the my.cnf file, the fulltext indexes were already created WITH the stopwords, so you still have to reindex them, I think. Maybe someone else can clarify this?

I added this to my.cnf and we'll see if it has any effect (but with the above changes, it may be moot):
ft_stopword_file=""

If anyone has any corrections or advice, please chime in. This worked for me - but I have to say I wish MyBB had a little more info in the introduction about how search is limited by whatever version of MySQL is on the server... this took a day for me to figure out, and I'm not even sure if it will work permanently. Thanks.
(2019-07-14, 01:41 AM)gimbal Wrote: [ -> ]In case this helps anyone else to resolve Search issues in MyBB 1.8.21, I was able to solve my problem.

Please note I am not a programmer, and I took some risk, after verifying this should work on my version, and it did.
Your Mileage May Vary.

SUMMARY:
The problem was that Search was returning zero results for a long list of common words (like "what", "today", etc.). 
MySQL has a built in list of  stopwords  which are omitted from the  fulltext index  of tables  when the index is created.

That last part is important - lots of advice tells you how to turn off the stopwords, but you also have to reindex.

There are 2 common sets of default stopwords, depending how old your MySQL is:
MySQL Table Type used to be MyISAM - which had 500 or so stopwords (making search useless).
MySQL version 5.6 and above, Table Type InnoDB is an option - which only has 36 stopwords.

I discoverd mine were the MyISAM simply by searching for the words in the large list - all returned zero search results.

The solution was to convert all MyBB's MySQL tables to InnoDB, and then recreate the fulltext indexes on 3 table columms:
mybb_posts > subject
mybb_posts > message
mybb_threads > subject

You should read up on the differences between the 2 table types in MySQL and the implications on search, they both have pros and cons, apparently. However, it seems that MyISAM is on its way out, and InnoDB is the new preferred type.

My installation of MyBB is on a shared server at a large hosting company, Apache, PHP version 7.1.14, MySQL version 5.6.14

STEPS TO FIX MY SEARCH in MYBB:

1. I logged in to MyBB Admin (ACP) to check what versions of MyBB, MySQL and PHP I was running.
2. I logged in to my cPanel > PHPMyAdmin > mybbdatabase
3. I converted EVERY table >by doing this... Selecting each table one at a time:
    For each table, clicked on Operations tab > Table Options > bestwashingmachine.in changed the Storage Engine to InnoDB and clicked "Go"
4. I then clicked on the parent mybbdatabase on the left of PHPMyAdmin, then the SQL tab, and entered this code:

SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.INNODB_FT_DEFAULT_STOPWORD;
   That should result in a list of 36 words that will be omitted from the fulltext index when recreated for searches.

5. To force the Posts and Threads to reindex with the new, shorter stoplist, I entered the following in the SQL tab, which appears to be a simple way to trigger the tables to reindex the fulltext indexes:

6. Next, might have been unnecessary, but I went back to each table > Operations tab > Table Maintenance > Optimize table

The result is that now I can search for any word other than the 36 in the shorter default InnoDB stopwords list.... 

7. I wanted real full text search (no words omitted), so following advice on other forums: 
  • I created my own stopwords table  mybb_stopwords  
  • I added a single entry  stopwords1  
  • Set MySQL to use that as the stopwords reference table, and 
  • Finally recreated the indexes, now omitting only the single word.

In cPanel > PHPMyAdmin > mybbdatabase > SQL tab (note use your own database and table names, and single stopword entry...)
CREATE TABLE mybb_stopwords(value VARCHAR(30)) ENGINE = INNODB;
INSERT INTO mybb_stopwords(value) VALUES ('stopword1');
set innodb_ft_enable_stopword="on";
set session innodb_ft_user_stopword_table='mybbdatabase/mybb_stopwords';

This seemed to work. Now there were only 2 more limitations to search in MyBB:

MySQL has a default minimum search word length of 3 or 4. In the latest upgrade of MyBB > ACP > Configuration > Settings > Search System, you can modifly the Minimum Search Word Length. If you leave zero in the field, it defaults to whatever MySQL on your server is, 3 or 4. I put 2 and that works.

Last, there is advice out there that you can simply add code to the my.cnf file at the root of your server, which contains settings for MySQL, to turn off stopwords. However, on a shared server, you are unable to reboot MySQL for the change to take effect (unless your hosting provider agrees). My host advised me that any code in that file gets loaded periodically, but we'll see. Also, I think that even if you are able to turn off the stopwords via the my.cnf file, the fulltext indexes were already created WITH the stopwords, so you still have to reindex them, I think. Maybe someone else can clarify this?

I added this to my.cnf and we'll see if it has any effect (but with the above changes, it may be moot):
ft_stopword_file=""

If anyone has any corrections or advice, please chime in. This worked for me - but I have to say I wish MyBB had a little more info in the introduction about how search is limited by whatever version of MySQL is on the server... this took a day for me to figure out, and I'm not even sure if it will work permanently. Thanks.
Hello sir I am facing same problem and I did all these steps but nothing worked for me!
Yes, I should have followed up - the fixes I tried did not last... You can only make those changes at the server configuration level - which means that if you are on a shared server at a hosting company, you can't turn off Stopwords, or alter the Stopword list...

I found that NOT using "Full-text" search was best, to go in to MyBB > ACP > Configuration > Board Settings > Search System > and change the search to "Standard"

I also changed my minimum search word length to 2... this way you can search for almost anything.
(2019-08-17, 05:01 PM)gimbal Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I should have followed up - the fixes I tried did not last... You can only make those changes at the server configuration level - which means that if you are on a shared server at a hosting company, you can't turn off Stopwords, or alter the Stopword list...

I found that NOT using "Full-text" search was best, to go in to MyBB > ACP > Configuration > Board Settings >  Search System > and change the search to "Standard"

I also changed my minimum search word length to 2... this way you can search for almost anything.

Thanks man for replying me. I will try it and share the results
I don't have your specific problem in MyBB. But in my own forum, a search returns all threads, using fulltext search.