MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Missing colon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
editpost and newthread templates.

Missing colon by Subject.
For anyone trying to fix this, IIRC that variable is used elsewhere so you might need to introduce a new variable instead.
I think all colons (when they are used like this) should be dropped from language definitions and placed in the templates instead. At least the siteowner will have a choice to use them or not. These colons are not as popular as they may have been in the past and many sites designed for mobile omit them. Now a core code edit is required or hard coding the language variable in the template.
This should be addressed in MyBB 1.9 at least... I agree with you, I am not sure if it is easy to fix.
They are all over the place. Have a look at the member register page - the legends- to see how inconsistent MyBB is with colons.
Please feel free to send a fix to GitHub MyBB repo or let us know the complete fix.
(2019-07-15, 04:21 PM)Eldenroot Wrote: [ -> ]Please feel free to send a fix to GitHub MyBB repo or let us know the complete fix.

Sorry, missed this post.

Attached is the member.lang.php from a 1.8.21 package, with the colons removed on these 4 definitions:
$l['account_prefs'] = "Account Preferences:";
$l['time_offset'] = "Time Zone (<abbr title=\"Daylight Saving Time\">DST</abbr> correction excluded):";
$l['lang_select'] = "Language Settings:";
$l['referrer'] = "Referrer:";

That would make the registration page look more consistent.

[attachment=42000]
I am not sure if it is a good idea to change it in 1.8.x for consistency. You can always use Patches plugin to maintain core changes easily.
(2019-07-15, 08:16 AM)Eldenroot Wrote: [ -> ]This should be addressed in MyBB 1.9 at least... I agree with you, I am not sure if it is easy to fix.
Agreed. I think this is a better choice to address these problems in a new version. MyBB 1.8 works out real theme/template output partly in PHP scripts and partly in templates, IMHO. Some very problematic issues are not easy to fix without touching core script files.

(2019-07-15, 11:30 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]They are all over the place. Have a look at the member register page - the legends- to see how inconsistent MyBB is with colons.
Yes, but not only colons are annoying.

I observe inconsistency among language packs, theme templates and hardcoded PHP script files exist in:
  • Some colons, as the thread author suggested, your_message in editpost.lang language file Vs. editpost template.
  • Inconsistent using of date/time format, normal time or relative time. The relative time looks like a feature that is added in some 1.8.x version, and is not well organized, many occurs of which are hardcoded. I'm about to give up investigating this issue in 1.8, hope 1.9 can have a site wided consistent setting of time.
  • In calendar > add/edit event page, the repeat options are coded by a template. Actually, the terms/words/phrases order used by this template is only correct in a few languages, such as English. But in Chinese or other languages (I don't know any other but surely there should be some), we use A's B order rather than the B of A order. This marks the difficulty of internationalization of MyBB. Although MyBB is doing its best to support multi-lang through language packs, but that may not be enough.
More numbers of and small & accurate defines of language term variables does solve some language specific problems, but obscures more.
Hi,

Thank you for your report. We have pushed this issue to our Github repository for further analysis where you can track our commits and progress with fixing this bug. Discussions regarding this bug may also take place there too.

Follow this link to visit the issue on Github: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/3796

Thanks for contributing to MyBB!

Regards,
The MyBB Group