MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Extend MyBB inside of ACP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Currently peoples need to upload all plugin files directly to server with FTP, but this may be little bit annoying. Extend MyBB should be inside of ACP and admins can click install buttons and all files is loaded form Extend to board. This need rewrite Extend and work by plugin developers, but this should be much better use in board than FTP upload.
(2019-07-16, 08:29 AM)ks1001 Wrote: [ -> ]Currently peoples need to upload all plugin files directly to server with FTP, but this may be little bit annoying. Extend MyBB should be inside of ACP and admins can click install buttons and all files is loaded form Extend to board. This need rewrite Extend and work by plugin developers, but this should be much better use in board than FTP upload.

No, that's a bad idea because it will make MyBB forum software become bloated and large in filesize. 

What if an admin saw all of the extra stuff that he/she did not need?

There would be no way to get rid of the bloat and keep only the programs they want.
(2019-07-18, 08:21 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-07-16, 08:29 AM)ks1001 Wrote: [ -> ]Currently peoples need to upload all plugin files directly to server with FTP, but this may be little bit annoying. Extend MyBB should be inside of ACP and admins can click install buttons and all files is loaded form Extend to board. This need rewrite Extend and work by plugin developers, but this should be much better use in board than FTP upload.

No, that's a bad idea because it will make MyBB forum software become bloated and large in filesize. 

What if an admin saw all of the extra stuff that he/she did not need?

There would be no way to get rid of the bloat and keep only the programs they want.

No, there is only access to Extend and when user click to Install button, MyBB download this plugin from Extend and install it. All is communication with MyBB Board and Extend, not storaged to FTP, lol.
There is a lot of security concerns around implementing something like this, I don't know if the MyBB project has enough resources to effectively manage this kind of feature. It would be really useful and beneficial to a lot of MyBB owners, but only if the risks can be mitigated. Maybe a third party module would be better so people could opt-in and handle the risks themselves.
(2019-07-18, 05:31 PM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]There is a lot of security concerns around implementing something like this, I don't know if the MyBB project has enough resources to effectively manage this kind of feature. It would be really useful and beneficial to a lot of MyBB owners, but only if the risks can be mitigated. Maybe a third party module would be better so people could opt-in and handle the risks themselves.

For this we have security team, who make this secure. And exactly what is security risks there. MyBB get list of plugins and themes form Extend. After that when user click install buttom, this download plugin/theme files to server and add every file to correct place. After that user can activate plugin.
(2019-07-19, 04:36 AM)ks1001 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-07-18, 05:31 PM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]There is a lot of security concerns around implementing something like this, I don't know if the MyBB project has enough resources to effectively manage this kind of feature. It would be really useful and beneficial to a lot of MyBB owners, but only if the risks can be mitigated. Maybe a third party module would be better so people could opt-in and handle the risks themselves.

For this we have security team, who make this secure. And exactly what is security risks there. MyBB get list of plugins and themes form Extend. After that when user click install buttom, this download plugin/theme files to server and add every file to correct place. After that user can activate plugin.

I don't know the extent of the security team's role so maybe they can pull it off. Either way I would prefer an opt-in model so I could still review and manually upload plugins I want to use.
I can be wrong on this...

I am not aware that MyBB.com has it's own separate security team.

I believe that the staff of MyBB.com are involved in MyBB.com security issues in some form.

Can anyone from staff confirm or correct this?