MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SteamPostbit - Adds Steam account details to the user's postbit in threads.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's a plugin that adds Steam info (Profile name/link, avatar, level, status, and current activity) to your postbit.

Download from Extend MyBB

This was a quick release with a lot of new hooks and plugin things I've never used before in addition to it being my first time using the Steam API (and building a site that interfaces with the API) so it's not perfect, I classify it as a "good enough" backend with a "needs some work" frontend. If anybody manages to make it look decent in the Postbit please share it with me and I'll add your beautification style to the next update. Big Grin

Original Plugin Request thread: https://community.mybb.com/thread-223918.html
(2019-07-18, 09:31 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a plugin that adds Steam info (Profile name/link, avatar, level, status, and current activity) to your postbit.

Download from Extend MyBB

This was a quick release with a lot of new hooks and plugin things I've never used before in addition to it being my first time using the Steam API (and building a site that interfaces with the API) so it's not perfect, I classify it as a "good enough" backend with a "needs some work" frontend. If anybody manages to make it look decent in the Postbit please share it with me and I'll add your beautification style to the next update. Big Grin

Original Plugin Request thread: https://community.mybb.com/thread-223918.html

Hello there. I got this particular problem that I've mentioned you before.

[Image: postbit.png]

I also would like to mention that I seperated them with divs and gave them all titles, removed () and [] from level and online status and avatar. I'll add some background and border to make it look better. I believe it's the only way in a vertical (classic) postbit. By the way, this error has nothing to do with my editings becuase it was working after some refreshes and I had this error before I edit some stuff. Sometimes only happens to level or others. Or sometimes you can only see level and not the others. Backs to normal after several minutes but no idea what's causing this to be honest.

The second and biggest problem is that this plugin slows down loading times of threads a lot. I didn't know if that's this plugin causing it but as I suspected, yes. When it's active and only 1 member using the plugin, threads (don't have any comments) tend to load in 3.200 ms, all the time but when it's deactivated, it gets back to normal, around 100-150 ms. I think it may have something to do with plugin pulls the results from steam.kujoe.net and this website pulls the results from Steam everytime I try to view a thread and it decreases loading speed a lot.
I also would like to give some recommendations for future releases.
  • There could be a statistics page for people who use this feature in forum, to show most played games, highest levels, people who currently are playing games etc.
  • There could be a button in postbit to let people add them as friends in Steam.
  • Steam avatar looks blurry and tiny, that could be better.
  • Steam online status could be shown as green and red border.
  • Steam level could be shown as images instead of text.
  • No Game/Private Profile could be changed to something smaller (as can be seen in image above, it causes trouble in postbit classic).
Also, thanks you a lot for making this amazing plugin because I really needed a lot for a very long time. I know you'll make this plugin even better in time!
(2019-07-19, 06:54 PM)timelord Wrote: [ -> ]Hello there. I got this particular problem that I've mentioned you before.

[Image: postbit.png]

I also would like to mention that I seperated them with divs and gave them all titles, removed () and [] from level and online status and avatar. I'll add some background and border to make it look better. I believe it's the only way in a vertical (classic) postbit. By the way, this error has nothing to do with my editings becuase it was working after some refreshes and I had this error before I edit some stuff. Sometimes only happens to level or others. Or sometimes you can only see level and not the others. Backs to normal after several minutes but no idea what's causing this to be honest.

The second and biggest problem is that this plugin slows down loading times of threads a lot. I didn't know if that's this plugin causing it but as I suspected, yes. When it's active and only 1 member using the plugin, threads (don't have any comments) tend to load in 3.200 ms, all the time but when it's deactivated, it gets back to normal, around 100-150 ms. I think it may have something to do with plugin pulls the results from steam.kujoe.net and this website pulls the results from Steam everytime I try to view a thread and it decreases loading speed a lot.
I also would like to give some recommendations for future releases.
  • There could be a statistics page for people who use this feature in forum, to show most played games, highest levels, people who currently are playing games etc.
  • There could be a button in postbit to let people add them as friends in Steam.
  • Steam avatar looks blurry and tiny, that could be better.
  • Steam online status could be shown as green and red border.
  • Steam level could be shown as images instead of text.
  • No Game/Private Profile could be changed to something smaller (as can be seen in image above, it causes trouble in postbit classic).
Also, thanks you a lot for making this amazing plugin because I really needed a lot for a very long time. I know you'll make this plugin even better in time!

I was getting the same error today and I made some changes to the backend to fix it. That being said I'll probably be doing a rewrite of the plugin because of the load times, I was trying to avoid having each forum owner use their own Steam API key for security reasons (if somebody hacks your forums or another mod gets the API key they can destroy your Steam account which tends to be pretty valuable), but it looks like that's the better route to go for performance so I'll try to get that done this weekend or next week.

Statistics Page - I probably won't be adding anything like that but others are welcome to.
Add Friends - I'll look into adding something like this, shouldn't be too hard.
Steam Avatar - I'm using the avatar provided by Steam, the options are Small, Medium, and Large so I went with the Small so it would fit on the Postbit and so I wouldn't have to resize it manually.
Online Status - Once I get around to adding stylesheets I'll get this added.
Steam Level - I was playing around with generating images with PHP and it wasn't pretty, maybe somebody else who has more experience can give it a go.
No Game/Private Profile - Once I get language files setup this will be easier to adjust to fit each person's layout.
Awesome! Any news?
I pushed an update that fixed a few minor things and updated the API address, hopefully it's a little better now because I'm still trying to find a solution that doesn't compromise security.