MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Domain suspended, moving to new domain doesn't work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey all. I was using a free, freenom domain, but they decided to suspend my domain.. (And resell it.. Which they are totally allowed to do Angry )

So, basically I woke up this morning, and my site was down. I quickly ran to PHPMyadmin and backed up my database. Then I quickly FTP'ed all files to my desktop. A few hours later I registered a new domain name, the plan is to move the mybb forum to the new site. 

As the previous forum went down, unexpectedly, plugins aren't disabled, which is a step in any 'moving hosts mybb' tutorial. So I did this: 

- Registered the new domain (same host)
- Moved all the files from my desktop to the next public_html of my new domain. 
- Changed the settings.php (cookie domain)
- I was still using the same database, as it was still on the same host, right? 
- Navigated to my forum / admin. 
- After logging in, I'm greeted with the lovely, stylish standard mybb admin screen. Big Grin  All good and happy, I went to press the button 'configuration'.. And I was faced the mybb log-in screen again.. And again..  And again.. Sad  Going to admin/index.php works. But pressing any other button in the adminCP just causes in me facing the mybb admin login screen again.. 

I've also tried creating a new database, importing the backup, changing the config.php and settings.php again and then uploading it to my public_html instead of using the database on the same host I used for the suspended domain.

Edit: I am certain I did the settings.php cookie part correctly, and I tried both setting all files to CMOD 666 and 777. 

How to fix being faced the log-in screen when pressing literally any button / link in the ACP? 

Kind regards,
Hugo.
your host could have multiple SQL servers, so its not likely that you're on the same database server now.

After determining that and the database credentials, the file to edit is inc/config.php

I believe settings.php has been deprecated, and is no more.
(2019-07-18, 02:38 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]your host could have multiple SQL servers, so its not likely that you're on the same database server now.

After determining that and the database credentials, the file to edit is inc/config.php

I believe settings.php has been deprecated, and is no more.

Hey! Thanks for your answer. I already tried creating a new database, importing all data from the backup in the new database and changing the config.php. 

Oh and.. This is what it looks like now on the forumurl/index.php page

[Image: 474992e7f3.png]

Weird thing is it all worked right before my domain went down..
Are you on speaking terms with your host?  Big Grin

This should be a very easy process.

All you have to do is restore the database, copy up your old fileset, edit the config.php and your forum will come up with all plugins running.
(2019-07-18, 02:52 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you on speaking terms with your host?  Big Grin

This should be a very easy process.

All you have to do is restore the database, copy up your old fileset, edit the config.php and your forum will come up with all plugins running.

It should be indeed a very easy process. So here's what I just did: 

1. Download index_html of old site.
2. Uploading index_html if old site to the new site.
3. Creating a new database
4. Importing everything from the old database to the new one. 
5. Modifying the config.php so it matches the new database information. 
6. Navigating to my forum url. Which looks like this: 
[Image: 474992e7f3.png]

(My index page, and all pages look weird, like it has no theme.. This is weird as I copied the whole index_html, theme files included.)

7. So I then try navigating to myforumurl.tld/admin - which results me getting on the admin log-in page.
8. After filling in all the correct details, I'm logged into the ACP. 
[Image: 44447979bc.png]
9. Click on configuration, or any other tab / link results in me seeing the mybb log-in screen again. When I try logging back in, I'm greeted with the same log-in screen (on the page e.g. admin/index.php?module=config), again and again. I can only log back in when navigating to myforumurl.tld/admin. 

CMOD settings are set good, after this I also modified the settings.php, which also didn't change a thing. 

P.S. What do you mean by 'are you on speaking terms with your host?'

Thanks in advance!
Hugo.
Whats your forum URL?

If you're in ACP check the board URL setting.
(2019-07-18, 03:25 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]Whats your forum URL?

If you're in ACP check the board URL setting.

PM'ed board url. I am unable to change the board url setting as clicking on any button / link, including the settings/configurations causes me to log out. 

Regards,
Hugo.
Cookie settings are incorrect.
https://docs.mybb.com/tools/cookie-settings
I just migrated my forum to a new domain this morning and it worked without any issues, here's the steps I took:

1) Mark old forum closed (not required but it prevents data from being missed during the migration, you don't need to do this step since your forum is down).
2) Export database and backup files.
3) Copy files to new host.
4) Import database.
5) Edit the bburl, cookiedomain, cookiepath, and cookieprefix values in the _settings table.
6) Delete /inc/settings.php
7) Login to the AdminCP.
8) Go to Board Settings, make any other changes (i.e. Homepage URL, mail settings, and anything else domain specific), then save them to recreate the settings.php file.

Not sure if these steps are needed or not but once I did those steps I also clicked on the "Rebuild and Reload All" link under Tools & Maintenance -> Cache Manager then I used the "Optimize Database" function, then I clicked the "Go" button for everything in "Recount & Rebuild".
Pages: 1 2 3