MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Starting a forum: What topic generates most response?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm wondering if anyone has found a single topic that really sparked a discussion and what was it?
Traffic?  Driving?  Politics?  Money?
(2019-08-05, 09:28 PM)CloudyBright Wrote: [ -> ]I'm wondering if anyone has found a single topic that really sparked a discussion and what was it?
Traffic?  Driving?  Politics?  Money?
Depends what your Forum niche is if its promotion like webmaster I would say Traffic and Money. But if its Business I would say money really depends what type forum is your main focus on. I think nowadays Forums are looking for Member Traffic so mostly promotion of forums.
You are thinking about this all wrong.

There is no point in creating a forum for a topic you aren't yourself interested in. Doing that is, frankly, asking for trouble.

(2019-08-06, 02:11 AM)DevLife Wrote: [ -> ]Depends what your Forum niche is if its promotion like webmaster I would say Traffic and Money.

You should not be advocating for Promotion Forums to be created. They're the 21st-century edition of a circlejerk. As a result, unless you have something to get out of it, you're not going to join it. All you get is a nofollow linkback which is of no use to anyone.
The only topics that generate the most responses are the topics that you're passionate enough about to discuss them.

I agree with Ben Cousins completely that "promotion forums" are purely nepotistic hugboxes. You have to get along with the administrators to get pimped hard. People jump in on the forum business and expect to be a Roman emperor overnight, especially in this post-apocalyptic social media generation. Stop caring about money and just focus on your interests. People will give your Web sites a chance, if they get something out of them that no other Web site would provide.
There are many HUGE topics that really can get a lot of discussion going on. Knowing them will not give you anything.
What you want to know is how to get discussion going on...

First of all, choose topic that fits your niche, something that you know well and can help discussion. Then just be active and everything should work fine.

Tip: threads with two or more common but very different ideas always cause a lot of noise and discussion!

Hope that helps!
Promotion forums all die in the end. Only one has been successful at lasting for any period of time, and it is still suffering from lost interest. A lot of its own popularity has been other promotion forums promoting their promotion forums on forum promotion.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The main requirements: It needs to be something you're passionate about. You need to be active, and I mean ACTIVE. Create content. Without it, you'll go nowhere. Even with all of that, you still need some decent promotion/marketing skills to get it out there, grab people's attention, and encourage them to actually post themselves.

Its a longshot, but good luck.