MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to update themes to 1.8.21?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, what are the steps to update a theme to make it compatible for 1.8.21? is there a guide available for this?

Thank you!
(2019-08-18, 09:57 AM)Miraimaher Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, what are the steps to update a theme to make it compatible for 1.8.21? is there a guide available for this?

Thank you!

Start with this WEBPAGE and navigate to the section about themes.
Most important change in 1.8.21 is in the editor: 
https://github.com/mybb/mybb/pull/3639#i...-480689866

When a new version of MyBB comes out, I go through the changes in the theme since the previous version and apply them to my theme:
https://github.com/mybb/mybb/commits/fea..._theme.xml

If there is an easier way, I haven't found it yet  Big Grin
(2019-08-18, 09:57 AM)Miraimaher Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, what are the steps to update a theme to make it compatible for 1.8.21? is there a guide available for this?

Thank you!

While the suggestions for viewing release notes and or github changes specific to theme xml are sound, I find that is only one part of it. Install the theme and use ignore compat mode during install, then the find updated templates function and view diff function in the find updated templates function is the more standard way of finding changes ( open view diff in one window and edit in another window aligning windows side by side  makes this fairly easy ) and updating as far as the template side of things are concerned while as far as the css side of things would be done by reviewing release notes, github changes, etc, etc..., best of luck.

Thank you!

There is only one way to update a theme. First, determine what version the theme was written for. Second, apply the changes as listed on the MyBB blog posts for each and every point release, until your theme is up to date. The only thing the blog posts don't indicate is CSS changes, you have to determine this afterwards by doing a manual comparison.
If this seems to much work then the only alternative is to rebuild the theme on a latest MyBB version.
Thanks for all the information, the theme I want to update is a responsive theme named Muv-Alt, I used it in the past but I think the last update is from 2014 or 2016 so it probably needs alot of changes
Yes, that is a lot of changes. You will spend many hours going through them and applying to the theme.
I am not aware of something similar on MyBB.com - You can easily use the German MyBB documentation for upgrades with it's excellent template comparison:
https://www.mybb.de/doku/sonstiges/geaen...ates/1821/

Just choose any older version to compare and then click all templates listed.
For example 1.8.11 <-> 1.8.21:
https://www.mybb.de/doku/sonstiges/geaen...1821/1811/

All new templates are labelled with "[hinzugefügt]" and need to be added (manually or using the upgrade).

[ExiTuS]
Again, while some keep saying the only way to update is to read release notes or github while meaning well, are incorrect in that assumption as that is not the only way nor the standard way and are forgetting the actual standard way most have updated for years. Ok, install using ignore compat, then use find updated templates function, open view diff function in one window and edit in another window side by side. That will cover the template side of things.  Also since there is not a function for this via css, you would have to simply do something like, open up current default css in one window and the css for the theme you are updating in a window beside it, then use your eyes and brain as you read both windows as the view diff function, lol, it does work.  Primarily the things you will need to look for in css since your theme is several updates outdated is say the changes in (modal)blocker, the changes in locked becoming closed, etc, etc. Best of luck.