MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Site unavailable during traffic spikes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

My mybb site have occasional traffic spikes, and which makes the pages unavailable or terrific slow during such periods. Today I had such a spike mybb says
The most users online at one time was 2,802 on Today at 02:36 PM

I'm hosting on a dedicated server with Core i7 and 32 GB RAM, with enough traffic quota, and the server load during that time is just 0.30

What will be causing the bottleneck ? any ideas ?

Thanks

mkbiju
Have no idea what might caused this. You may want to check following points.

Do you have PHP errorlogs? Check the errorlog file for unusual things.

What's your forum's setting for online time cut-off? Via AdminCP > Configuration > Settings > Who's Online > Cut-off Time (mins).

Do you have any plugin related to user logging enabled?

Could you also have a peek at the content in table sessions in your forum's database, when the spike comes?
Hi Noyle

Thank you very much for trying to help me....

To make it clear, the traffic spike is caused by real users.... not because of some errors...

My problem is when the online user count increases, the site becomes slow.. but the server is not showing any stress, and bandwidth is plenty

What might be causing this ?
You're welcome.

Not sure if MyBB can't deal with high traffic. Could you set Advanced Stats / Debug information to yes to provide more debug details?

Since you've mentioned that the server load was really low when the spike comes, I also suggest tune your server softwares and server operating system.
With a dedicated server, just use the MyBB debug as an 'additional assistance' - instead use the unlimited possibilities of the OS loggiing, debugging and webservr stats so identify any troubles and bottlenecks.

A dedicated server usually comes with a terminal acces to the operating, so ready to open a shell connection. Then go there for a deeper troubleshooting.
Bottlenecks in webservices are most common located in memory or network issues. Don't care CPU for the moment, 0.3 utilization is great. Better keep an eye on your memory consumption and network stats.

[ExiTuS]
Hi ExiTuS

Thank you very much for your inputs...

Nailed the cause I think... Checked the apache error log and found Apache - server reached MaxRequestWorkers error.

Increased it from the default 256 to 800 and it seems fixed..

Thanks again all