MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Curious thought...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2019-09-05, 04:29 PM)vintagedaddyo Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, also just in case you don't know why I mention 3 cms together ie: mambo/joomla/elxis as an example is because they also are forks mambo -> joomla elxis Wink

Thank you for hinting this. I would really like to see more of your thought on this. It looks like to me that you're implying current MyBB's development is kinda of unhealthy or lacks of progress or something else. I do feel that way.

But for your topic on a conversion from MyBB to discography site, it's another thing other than forking MyBB as a forum/discussing software. For mambo -> joomla elxis, they're all CMS. I'm not familiar with dedicate platforms on discography, so only have suggested using a common CMS, eg. Drupal, which has pretty good support on low-level customization.

That's to say, if you need a wiki, use MediaWiki/DokuWiki/...; if you need a CMS, use Drupal/WordPress/...; if you need a blog, use WordPress/Movable Type/...; if you need a BBS, use phpBB/vBB/...; if you need a discography site, use ... (sorry I don't search for that, kind of lazy  Big Grin ).
(2019-09-05, 05:38 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Snipped unrelated posts.

@Serpius, lets keep this on topic. VintageDaddyo's reasons are his own, and bear no relevance on this thread.

That's fine, Tom K., but explain how this #11 post was allowed to stay when I more or less stated similar comments in my posts in this thread.
(2019-09-06, 07:53 AM)noyle Wrote: [ -> ]That's to say, if you need a wiki, use MediaWiki/DokuWiki/...; if you need a CMS, use Drupal/WordPress/...; if you need a blog, use WordPress/Movable Type/...; if you need a BBS, use phpBB/vBB/...; if you need a discography site, use ... (sorry I don't search for that, kind of lazy  Big Grin ).

▲ This is what I think too...
(2019-09-06, 07:53 AM)noyle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-05, 04:29 PM)vintagedaddyo Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, also just in case you don't know why I mention 3 cms together ie: mambo/joomla/elxis as an example is because they also are forks mambo -> joomla elxis Wink

Thank you for hinting this. I would really like to see more of your thought on this. It looks like to me that you're implying current MyBB's development is kinda of unhealthy or lacks of progress or something else. I do feel that way.

But for your topic on a conversion from MyBB to discography site, it's another thing other than forking MyBB as a forum/discussing software. For mambo -> joomla elxis, they're all CMS. I'm not familiar with dedicate platforms on discography, so only have suggested using a common CMS, eg. Drupal, which has pretty good support on low-level customization.

That's to say, if you need a wiki, use MediaWiki/DokuWiki/...; if you need a CMS, use Drupal/WordPress/...; if you need a blog, use WordPress/Movable Type/...; if you need a BBS, use phpBB/vBB/...; if you need a discography site, use ... (sorry I don't search for that, kind of lazy  Big Grin ).

Greetings and sorry for the delay in response.., unfortunately I was busy all evening moving past mybb projects to archive so was not free to read or respond to you reply. Ok, just getting some coffee into me so let me see if in the limited free time I have at the moment if I can answer some of your questions.

Ok, first while off topic, I will try to answer your question: I am not implying anything of the sort and to be honest from xmb to devbb to rc1, 1.0, 1.1 and then every version since up until now (roughly 18 years) I believe that the past and current team members are constantly coming up with amazing things for an ever-growing epic product. While yes I can agree with you sentiments on maybe a few things for example perhaps current priorities of focus are a little off kilter as jumping ahead of the ball is never optimal, things that would have been more priority based besides maintaining the existing product and fixing existing bugs would be to of say long ago set focus on say the absolute need to get a responsive front-end and backend and at least keep up with the competition in doing so, while yes the focus was instead placed on say 2.0 and then obviously 1.9..., while yes adding or removing features, rewriting the product making improvements etc, etc, are all great effort and very exciting often rushing towards re-inventing the wheel prior to any focus on say getting the existing wheel up to speed might in my opinion of not been the best direction, but it is ultimately up to the team to do as they choose and I do not make these observations in any distaste on the contrary I am simply answering your question. While it is easy to understand the excitement and mindset that would set all focus on say getting to 2.0 or the now 1.9 and while that may take away focus and time from say making the existing product responsive..., the  choice could have been to find the best existing front-end and back-end product released by the community under gpl and save time by including and modifying for the team usage as they have done before with the existing theme being based on afresh..., now also personally I would have also since I am always watching the existing talent in here, would have perhaps opted to try and recruit a few new team members, for example for awhile back in the earlier days of 1.8 I was hoping they would add chack1172, ashley1, etc, etc.., primarily based on some of their contributions I saw would be perfect for say front-end and backend replacements until 1.9 or 2.0, also support staff could be added to free up current staff members obligations by watching the most helpful and knowledgeable  members currently providing support and recruit them. While these are just a few things that I am only mentioning based on an attempt to answer your question, this is not to say I think that the team is not doing an excellent job with an often overwhelming amount of work on the plate, I am merely sharing some observation that are in direct relation to your question, they are not all of my observations nor suggestions but I am trying to keep this answer short as I can as my time is currently limited. While this question was off topic and I do keep requesting everyone to stay on topic, I could further elaborate on my answer, but, I honestly have already dedicated more of my limited free time than I would prefer to answering something off topic and not related to this thread content, topic or intent.

Ok on towards your other topic: I honestly am not very aware of Drupal under the hood as I have never used it, I can only talk on things that I actually have knowledge of and yes several of the softwares you mention I am aware of, while yes I have plenty of joomla experience from several projects including back when I was doing things for world of warcraft, wordpress from other times of experience with it, phpbb, vb, MediaWiki/DokuWiki(only from integrating it with mybb for a few users awhile back), mambo and elxis obviously since I mentioned both and obviously a handful of others softwares from over the years that are not related to this thread content, primarily none of them are really related to this original thread content except for the usage when you mention of them. While yes i do understand your logic of say sticking with a delegated software type for a delegated task, but this entire thread was not about that, it is about conversational topic to get creative juices flowing on what one could do with the existing product if one so chose and is not really about an actual project, it is using a project idea to discuss a thought process that a user could find themselves in if they decided they had an idea wanted to create it, found it was outside the existing product spectrum and understood the existing product license. I make note of some of these things in this thread and will quote myself here just in case it is helpful:

Quote:remember: if the mind is active the possibilities are limitless. I think what the aim of this discussion overall is talking about a project thought and all it would entail simply as a creative base to maybe inspire folks in the community to imagine their potential and if you dream it up you may be able to build it, and if not all is within your capabilities that is not a reason to not follow your inspirations, that is what oss communities are for, finding like minded users that may possess the contributions that you do not. And if one day you look back at this discussion and find for whatever reason that it caused you to follow your ideas, then please pay it forward and light the fire and desire to inspire!

While I use that part of myself quoted to help you further understand the reason behind this discussion, I explain various other things throughout the replies if you read through. Also, note, because I actually am experienced in projects, teams, forks, etc, etc, from over the years, this is why it is a topic that I have a good deal of knowledge on and can talk about for days, inform folks from personal experience and overall find the topic interesting.

Also, when I referenced mambo being forked and the byproducts being say joomla and elxis, this is to simply show you an example of one of the cms type examples that existing users found they wanted to do something different with and understood the software license. Again none of these products really took away from the existing product and some may have had some things to contribute to each other, again something I mention briefly in a previous part about knowing why a fork often happens and getting over the basic mental stigma many often have when not fully understanding why these things have happened for many years in the open source community and will obviously continue for many more and that for those folks that actually understand the oss mindset it is not a bad thing in the least whether it is an existing project or simply a topic of discussion. Here is another funny thought, if one was to list all the softwares they use, one might be amazed to find out how many of them began as a fork, from your cms, to your blog, to your bbs, many may have roots you might know of, while I won't hint to what ones, I will leave that to you to find out as the mystery and adventure of discovery is all part of any exciting journey. Again yet another few points already made in this open and creative discussion. Wink
Finally got some time to write you back. Have been tracking a problem and finally found the culprit.

Sorry, I just want the page to be cleaner so I omit most part of your post.

(2019-09-06, 01:39 PM)vintagedaddyo Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, just getting some coffee into me so let me see if in the limited free time I have at the moment if I can answer some of your questions.

Ok, first while off topic, (...)

Well, it's not a question actually. I'm not a native English speaker, so some words are not chosen ideally to express my mind. But seems you get my idea. However, no matter you're saying current MyBB's development or team is good or not good or something else, I do feel that way I've expressed in my previous post. I'm now trying to contribute to its development as much as I can. You're right about the team and the community, both previous and now. Members on team and the community are doing great to put their knowledge and passion into this project. My view is plain, so I'll keep this response short.

(2019-09-06, 01:39 PM)vintagedaddyo Wrote: [ -> ]Ok on towards your other topic: (...)

So this is the heart of this topic. I really don't have much to say. I'm totally a newbie to contribute to OSS, not even talking about development on a forked project. I do read the license and (probably) know about what one can do and what one shouldn't do with a specific license. But most of what I can do is just forking/fixing/pushing beyond just using it. It's so nice you've written this and I can learn from it. It should also be enlightenment to others even if they've been in OSS for a long time.

Quote:remember: if the mind is active the possibilities are limitless. I think what the aim of this discussion overall is talking about a project thought and all it would entail simply as a creative base to maybe inspire folks in the community to imagine their potential and if you dream it up you may be able to build it, and if not all is within your capabilities that is not a reason to not follow your inspirations, that is what oss communities are for, finding like minded users that may possess the contributions that you do not. And if one day you look back at this discussion and find for whatever reason that it caused you to follow your ideas, then please pay it forward and light the fire and desire to inspire!

This quoted part of talk really stands out. It's not only meaningful in this community/project. Would you mind if I quote this in my blog? (not telling you the URL, though  Toungue )

(2019-09-06, 01:39 PM)vintagedaddyo Wrote: [ -> ](...) Also, note, because I actually am experienced in projects, teams, forks, etc, etc, from over the years, this is why it is a topic that I have a good deal of knowledge on and can talk about for days, inform folks from personal experience and overall find the topic interesting. (...)

Keep doing so. Will be happy to see more comments from you, though I've done enough because I'm basically an end-user. Most of the time, I was searching for the most suitable software/platform for my use. I do have some ideas to extend/change MyBB to become more compliant for general purpose use. I've talked about this in a reply to a "page system" thread of the team or something else I can't recall right now. Influenced by Drupal and WordPress, I think it would be better to reform MyBB by package-ization. Through which, it'll be also possible for the thread to take any type whatever the user wants and the system supports, for example, organized as a discography page.

PS, seems much talk is off-topic but that indeed helps you express your idea. This is maybe your original intent on this discussion, but your mind is changing as well. Yes? No? Lightbulb
(2019-09-07, 02:42 PM)noyle Wrote: [ -> ]

This quoted part of talk really stands out. It's not only meaningful in this community/project. Would you mind if I quote this in my blog? (not telling you the URL, though  Toungue )

Sure, I have no problem with that. Haha, I love the humour in the end of the question as it sounds like we think alike on humour, cool beans.  Oh, here is another thought about oss mindset I said years ago and share with you now: "To me oss can be thought of simply as one child has a piece of string and another child has some tin cans, while both are alone it may seem like simply a piece of string here and a couple of cans over there with two children alone looking at what they can do with their individual item at hand, but, the day the two children meet and put their minds, time and individual materials together it becomes a communication device (ie: a string and can phone)." Wink
Pages: 1 2