MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Show unique view count instead of per refresh?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How can I get the unique view count of a thread instead of per refresh? If a user just manually refreshes their thread, they can increase their view count to thousands. Is there a way to make it through unique IPs only?
Great question, should be an easy answer for one of the experts out there

I've used the statscounter script and actually have seen an i.p refresh a page over and over, then this person contacted me to brag about how many views they have on a particular thread. I just let them believe their own lie, but I could clearly see the thread being refreshed over and over by that user's i.p. Now that thread has 5 or 6 thousand views, 90% of which are fake.
(2019-09-14, 03:14 AM)Michael2014 Wrote: [ -> ]Great question, should be an easy answer for one of the experts out there

I've used the statscounter script and actually have seen an i.p refresh a page over and over, then this person contacted me to brag about how many views they have on a particular thread. I just let them believe their own lie, but I could clearly see the thread being refreshed over and over by that user's i.p. Now that thread has 5 or 6 thousand views, 90% of which are fake.

Yes as this, but my complaint is a user saying how someone is doing it to his thread lol. Hopefully there is a clear fix Smile
there's no fix for this, the conditions need to be coded into showthread.php
This question has been raised before and suggested for improvement with no interest from the team.
(2019-09-14, 04:39 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]there's no fix for this, the conditions need to be coded into showthread.php
This question has been raised before and suggested for improvement with no interest from the team.

Got it. Are these conditions publicly available then ?
Unique views or unique IPs should be really helpful for private forums allowing only logged in users' visiting than open forums, IMO. It should be an interesting feature that can contribute more content to the board statistics.

But it's not as simple as what the count of views does for adding up to a counter. As far as I can understand, for the most accuracy in general purpose usage, the script should be able to not only tell visits are from different visitors, either logged in users or guests by IPs and sessions/cookies/etc. if they share a same IP, but remember who has visited a specific page. There are also other concerns on recognizing whether a visitor as a return visitor or a new visitor having a recorded IP in database but it's been a long time since the IP's last visiting.

Looks like WordPress (and maybe all other forum softwares) uses visits and some of its plugins targeting statistics can bring such a feature to count unique views/IPs for each post.

I suggest this content to be posted in Feature Request for MyBB or Plugin Request.

However, MyBB 1.9 would probably not show the Views column in forumdisplay page by default.
(2019-09-14, 08:01 AM)noyle Wrote: [ -> ]Unique views or unique IPs should be really helpful for private forums allowing only logged in users' visiting than open forums, IMO. It should be an interesting feature that can contribute more content to the board statistics.
For private forums, a simple count in the mybb_threadsread table works.