MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Expand upon existing limited badword filtering??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I noticed myself while reading a pm that had standard badwords filtered, when say if I had wished to reply in same form and not look like a filtered eejit, I could simply bypass filter by using localized variations of badwords to accomplish such. While the existing badword filtering appears to work amusingly well replacing words with things like orange, banana, eggplant, lime, etc, etc, it appears to be rather limited in filtering and does not take into account say:

Existing example:

eggplant
lime
orange

While it does not filter commonly used variations:

Feck
Arse
Shite

Etc, etc...

See what I am saying? Just figured I would point out the existing limitation of said filtering. Angel
There are an almost infinite number of permutations of things that someone could use to bypass the word filter. It isn't really worth going for all of them, only enough to send the message that profanity is unacceptable.
(2019-09-19, 04:08 AM)Azah Wrote: [ -> ]There are an almost infinite number of permutations of things that someone could use to bypass the word filter. It isn't really worth going for all of them, only enough to send the message that profanity is unacceptable.

Good points, though in this example let us for example simply think of for example sake a gb localized bbs based on said vernachular, while still being english lang, the entire filtering would be rather non functional as I pointed out.
I've always held the view that profanity within the scope of context is perfectly acceptable. I get that some language is not fit for the young budding webmaster and that's why 'eggplant' is censored here - but let's be real, I don't think that paraphrasing Brendan O'Carroll is the end of the world.
(2019-09-20, 09:10 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]I've always held the view that profanity within the scope of context is perfectly acceptable. I get that some language is not fit for the young budding webmaster and that's why 'eggplant' is censored here - but let's be real, I don't think that paraphrasing Brendan O'Carroll is the end of the world.

Does the sphere of "the scope of context" includes websites such as disney.com or nick.com?

Profanity on websites like those and many other websites (including MyBB.com) around the world is not needed nor necessary. 

Citing Brendan O'Carroll's fictitious TV character 'Agnes Brown' is poor example for allowing "profanity within the scope of context".
(2019-09-20, 11:21 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-20, 09:10 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]I've always held the view that profanity within the scope of context is perfectly acceptable. I get that some language is not fit for the young budding webmaster and that's why 'eggplant' is censored here - but let's be real, I don't think that paraphrasing Brendan O'Carroll is the end of the world.

Does the sphere of "the scope of context" includes websites such as disney.com or nick.com?

Yes, because, within the scope of context, taking into account the complete context, you would not be using that language on that website.

Thanks for clutching at straws.

Quote: Citing Brendan O'Carroll's fictitious TV character 'Agnes Brown' is poor example for allowing "profanity within the scope of context".

Cited because of the wording of the original post. Not as an example of allowing profanity through the use of context. And because, to be honest, given the context of the thread, it would have been wrong to use that word.

But please, continue to try to invalidate an argument you do not understand.
Ban eggplant and someone could just use feck.

Ban feck and someone could use fu*ck.

Ban fu*ck and someone could use it with Unicode magic.

Ban that? Someone could get even more creative with Unicode magic, hell I'm sure someone could probably find a f that isn't a f like ƒuck or play around with zero length spaces or other garbage. Good luck properly stripping zero length spaces without breaking some languages or emoji.

Ban that? fck. f-uck. f.uck. f;ck.

You never win. Just block the most common variations and call it a day.
Excuse me for the profanity, but I just had to illustrate the point.
It's not really a limitation of the system. By default no words are filtered and admins can choose which ones they wish to filter out. Context is important. Language is complex.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_problem