MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Make certain threads hidden from Guest viewing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello all!

Our forum is open to Guest Viewing, but we have a couple of threads that we would like to hide from the thread list unless you are a Registered Member.

I know I could move them to a separate forum and just change settings there, but that would break up the flow of things.

Is it possible to hide just a single thread on the main thread list?

Thank you!
You would need to use a plugin to do that, @Catch. Even then, it wouldn't be that easy to do...not 100% it CAN be done.
(2019-09-24, 05:18 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]You would need to use a plugin to do that, @Catch. Even then, it wouldn't be that easy to do...not 100% it CAN be done.

Hello my friend, thank you for your reply. Hope things are going well for you.
(2019-09-24, 05:46 PM)Catch Wrote: [ -> ]Hello my friend, thank you for your reply. Hope things are going well for you.

Everything is good.

I literally just thought of this, but...

How about making a forum that is hidden to guests, move the threads in question to that forum, but leave a redirect — so then, the continuity would be preserved, but guests would not be able to see those threads (I think)

Worth a shot, anyway.
(2019-09-24, 07:25 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-24, 05:46 PM)Catch Wrote: [ -> ]Hello my friend, thank you for your reply. Hope things are going well for you.

Everything is good.

I literally just thought of this, but...

How about making a forum that is hidden to guests, move the threads in question to that forum, but leave a redirect — so then, the continuity would be preserved, but guests would not be able to see those threads (I think)

Worth a shot, anyway.

----------------------------------------
Hmm, I like that. Going to try it now!

Thanks brother...
(2019-09-24, 07:26 PM)Catch Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, I like that. Going to try it now!

Thanks brother...

No problem. Let us know how it works out.
(2019-09-24, 07:34 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks brother...

Well, I'm back Toungue

I think this is going to work, except I seem to be stuck lol.

If I move the one thread I want to keep hidden into the new forum, I can't add the redirect URL since there is an existing thread. If I add the redirect first, then try to move the thread to that forum, it doesn't show as one of the options of where I can move it.

For example, this is the list prior to adding the redirect link:

[Image: zSchN5m.png]

And this is the list after adding the redirect link:

[Image: a3uxXtE.png]

Maybe I'm not understanding redirects correctly?

Crap, nevermind, I understand now. Add a thread redirect now and testing...

(2019-09-24, 07:34 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks brother...

That worked perfect! So simple too.

Now I just want to change it a bit to remove the thread locked icon and maybe change the text from "Moved:" to "Hidden:".

Awesome! Thanks for your help again! Do you have a donation link or can I use the one included on one of your plugins?
(2019-09-25, 01:38 PM)Catch Wrote: [ -> ]That worked perfect! So simple too.

That's great. I honestly had never tried it that way, so I'm glad that it worked.

(2019-09-25, 01:38 PM)Catch Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome! Thanks for your help again! Do you have a donation link or can I use the one included on one of your plugins?

No need, my friend. I am just glad to help. <3
So far, I was able to create a 'Hidden' forum, set permissions for that forum, move the thread we wanted to hide in "Hidden" and finally, remove "Hidden" from the forum display list to avoid confusion. Everything is working exactly as expected Smile

But, the parts that I thought that were going to be easy, I seem to be stuck on still lol.  Is it possible to not have it display the thread locked icon, plus, can you change the word "Moved:" to "Hidden:"?

Here is how it is showing the the thread list currently:

[Image: 1G3WC8O.png]

Sorry to be a pain...honestly, it's fun learning all this Smile

Thanks again!

I was able to change Moved: to Hidden: by modifying global language. We typically do not use the normal Move function, so this works for us...may not work for all.

Now, to get rid of the lock icon Smile
Help me understand and maybe I can help.

You want the thread to be locked, but you don't want it to appear to be locked? Why?
Pages: 1 2