MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Solve data loss with wrong login sequence issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not sure if this is the right place to make a request?

I would like to see a solution to the long standing problem whereby anybody composing a post to a forum they are registered users of, but who happen to not yet be logged in, will unwittingly lose that work once they do attempt to log in - typically when it comes time to submit the post they have been labouring over (quite possibly this will be the point at which they first realise they were not already logged in - perhaps because they had cleared browser cookies for some reason recently).
I think a simpler solution would be something like a warning window box that pops up telling the user that they are not logged in.

That way the user doesn't waste a lot of time doing a post only to find out that it will not be retained because he/she didn't realize that they were not logged on.
(2019-09-29, 02:10 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]I think a simpler solution would be something like a warning window box that pops up telling the user that they are not logged in.

Modals should not be used to display login issues. A banner would work better; it’s there and won’t screw with the user experience.
(2019-09-29, 05:08 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-29, 02:10 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]I think a simpler solution would be something like a warning window box that pops up telling the user that they are not logged in.

Modals should not be used to display login issues. A banner would work better; it’s there and won’t screw with the user experience.

A banner would only show up if the user is not logged onto the website.

If he/she is logged in, then the banner would not show up.

Would a plugin work in this manner?
(2019-09-29, 01:14 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-29, 05:08 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]

A banner would only show up if the user is not logged onto the website.

If he/she is logged in, then the banner would not show up.

Would a plugin work in this manner?

Correct. Banner would only display errors.

If you’re dealing with errors, this should be inbuilt into MyBB, and you should be able to leverage it with template edits. I’d advocate against unnecessary and redundant plugins.
The best way to solve this is to store the reply in localstorage. As long as they don't clear their entire browser data it should work nicely.
(2019-09-30, 02:04 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]The best way to solve this is to store the reply in localstorage. As long as they don't clear their entire browser data it should work nicely.

Ah, yes; had forgotten about LocalStorage.
(2019-09-30, 02:04 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]The best way to solve this is to store the reply in localstorage. As long as they don't clear their entire browser data it should work nicely.
Yep, that should work so long as the user has JS enabled. The other option is to store it in the session.
(2019-09-30, 07:05 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
Yep, that should work so long as the user has JS enabled. The other option is to store it in the session.

It would require JS either way so considering the data hasn't been sent to the server at this point it's better to just let the client handle it.