MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to stop spam users from trying to register?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am being plagued by these russian bots. I have Google captcha, the security questions in place, you cannot attempt more than so many times to register, you must take at least 20 secs to register, etc. but nothing... they keep registering. On one occasion they even managed to leave a post as a guest (goodness only knows how).

What else can I do to stop them?

Thanks Wink
Did you well configure "Stop forum spam" ( Home » Board Settings » Stop Forum Spam) ?
And did you disallow the russian spammers domains in bannig settings ?
I've a list of bad domains, as mail.ru, yandex.ru, 0815.ru, ...

I can share my list if you want.
Well, I had problems with SFS in the past as nobody could register, so at the moment I have it set as per the emage below.

However, no, I don't have anything disallowed within "banning" (except a few random IPs, but they keep changing them anyway...), so any lists of known spammers is welcome Big Grin

However I do wonder HOW they get past all those security measures... What I mean is that they get past the first line of defence, and only very rarely do they click on the confirmation email.
(2019-09-27, 10:35 AM)Arka Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I had problems with SFS in the past as nobody could register, so at the moment I have it set as per the emage below.

However, no, I don't have anything disallowed within "banning" (except a few random IPs, but they keep changing them anyway...), so any lists of known spammers is welcome Big Grin

However I do wonder HOW they get past all those security measures... What I mean is that they get past the first line of defence, and only very rarely do they click on the confirmation email.
There is now tools to automaticaly solve captchas, and security questions can also be solved with AI.
Here is my list, you can use it with Disposable Email Blacklist.
Thanks Crazycat.

Two questions, how do I load the email list? It is too long to copy and paste within "Disallowed email addresses" and I get a "1406 - Data too long for column 'filter' at row 1" Mysql error.

Is that plugin you suggest a separate thing?
(2019-09-27, 11:56 AM)Arka Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Crazycat.

Two questions, how do I load the email list? It is too long to copy and paste within "Disallowed email addresses" and I get a "1406 - Data too long for column 'filter' at row 1" Mysql error.

Use this updated (by me, non official) version of the plugin [attachment=42214]
just unzip and put the php file in inc/plugins/, then activate the plugin.
Well said by carzycat, now a days, people have developed tools, which can solve recaptchas/captchas and they are Russia based Smile.

I am using cloudflare on my forum, recaptcha, security questions which helped me a lot to beat spammers but my forum was visited by some chinese bots days ago and i blocked the country in cloudflare option,till then no noises.

And let me add, in the past my forum got also spammed from bots which were able to register themselves even though i used everything above.

The issues was with the hosting company which had some hole, somebody injected some maliciuos code there and got a way to register every second.

I hope it is not your case.
(2019-09-27, 12:06 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-27, 11:56 AM)Arka Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Crazycat.

Use this updated (by me, non official) version of the plugin
just unzip and put the php file in inc/plugins/, then activate the plugin.
Sorry, you lost me here. Do I need the plugin to load the list of emails, or is everything already included in there?

Thanks.
My zip is the (personnal new version of the) plugin, it includes all.
If you already install Disposal Email Blacklist, just overwrite the original plugin file with mine and deactivate/reactivate the plugin.
Downloaded disposamail into forum/inc, but nothing happens... It doesn't appear anywhere and cannot activate it.
Pages: 1 2