MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Posts in thread don't count towards OP post count?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone. I am trying to figure a solution to this:

If a user creates a thread and lets say it is bumped every so often, I would not like those bumped posts to go towards the users post count in that category, e.g. User creates thread -> User posts on his own thread thread (This does not count towards his post count), however, posts from other users will count towards post count.

What is the best viable option for this, or do I need a plugin? Thanks!
If you want to prevent sequent posts of a user to be counted, it is difficult to realize and needs modification in PHP source code.

IMO your desire can not be realized automated and precisely, because the system does not differentiate between a a reliable answer or an intentional push-up post.

You can use the option in ACP: Configuration > Posting > "Post Merge Time".
Set this to a higher value to force the forum to merge sequent posts automatically.
I don't know the maximum value of this option, but maybe it is possible to set even millions of minutes Smile

[ExiTuS]
(2019-10-09, 09:50 AM)[ExiTuS] Wrote: [ -> ]If you want to prevent sequent posts of a user to be counted, it is difficult to realize and needs modification in PHP source code.

IMO your desire can not be realized automated and precisely, because the system does not differentiate between a a reliable answer or an intentional push-up post.

You can use the option in ACP: Configuration > Posting > "Post Merge Time".
Set this to a higher value to force the forum to merge sequent posts automatically.
I don't know the maximum value of this option, but maybe it is possible to set even millions of minutes Smile

[ExiTuS]

I am sorta asking something like that. I assume this may require a modification then, as the post merge time is not what I'm looking for (It is currently set to 60 minutes)

If I can do a better explanation, I can say this:
User A makes thread -> Increases post count
User A bumps the thread in 1 hour -> his post count stays the same
User A bumps the thread in 2 hours -> his post count stays the same

Basically to stop a mass amount of unrelevant post count increase to bump a thread where not needed

This would require a plugin? Thanks exitus!
Hmm, that is not a question of plugin or an ACP setting...
It is kinda "human thinking VS. software". A software can't think like human to recognize a bumped post Smile

So you need to decide what should be the time limit to not count a post - 3 hours, 4 hours, 12, 24, 3600, infinite?

So practically:
- Which post is a bumped post that schould not be counted? - If it is every sequent post by the same user, then set the Post Merge Time to infinite (e.g. 1000000 Minutes for around two years). Then a new message is merged to the post before without counting.
- What delay must have been passed away to count the post of the same user?
- Where is your 'imaginary' threshold for counting a post by the same user when the user is not bumping? Do you want to count a sequential post worth to count or dismiss?

A software can't do a decision like this. It is up to you human! Smile

[ExiTuS]
(2019-10-09, 11:33 PM)[ExiTuS] Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, that is not a question of plugin or an ACP setting...
It is kinda "human thinking VS. software". A software can't think like human to recognize a bumped post Smile

So you need to decide what should be the time limit to not count a post - 3 hours, 4 hours, 12, 24, 3600, infinite?

So practically:
- Which post is a bumped post that schould not be counted? - If it is every sequent post by the same user, then set the Post Merge Time to infinite (e.g. 1000000 Minutes for around two years). Then a new message is merged to the post before without counting.
- What delay must have been passed away to count the post of the same user?
- Where is your 'imaginary' threshold for counting a post by the same user when the user is not bumping? Do you want to count a sequential post worth to count or dismiss?

A software can't do a decision like this. It is up to you human! Smile

[ExiTuS]

I should’ve specified.. pretty much ANY post by User A in his thread. No matter what the text is

This was preferably be per forum category ^
IMO the solution that will meet OP's request is somehow impossible without touching core MyBB files. Post counting is baked in several parts of MyBB modules, including but may not limit to, post handler, moderation, AdminCP's rebuilt & recount.

However, a plugin should be able to handle this request, with an extra table or table field to hold some information about how or what a user's post counting should be towards to. That will result in another statistical variable other than postnum.
(2019-10-10, 07:13 AM)noyle Wrote: [ -> ]IMO the solution that will meet OP's request is somehow impossible without touching core MyBB files. Post counting is baked in several parts of MyBB modules, including but may not limit to, post handler, moderation, AdminCP's rebuilt & recount.

However, a plugin should be able to handle this request, with an extra table or table field to hold some information about how or what a user's post counting should be towards to. That will result in another statistical variable other than postnum.

I see what you mean by that, and makes sense. Essentially putting it into a statistical variable that is hidden in all fields on the forum, but is still enabled in the backend, and keep posts count stored in that variable (essentially?)

I think I understand Smile Thank you noyle and Exitus for the valuable information
(2019-10-10, 12:17 PM)makpaolo Wrote: [ -> ]I see what you mean by that, and makes sense. Essentially putting it into a statistical variable that is hidden in all fields on the forum, but is still enabled in the backend, and keep posts count stored in that variable (essentially?)

I think I understand Smile Thank you noyle and Exitus for the valuable information

Currently for postnum, MyBB will increase or reduce the counting number when a post that accounts for counting is posted/deleted or moved from a forum to another forum where they have different counting policy. This is the work done by posthandler and moderation. For recount at AdminCP, the counter will traverse on all a user's posts to see if any post should be added to the user's postnum. Therefore IMO your request might not be easily done without touching many core MyBB scripts and I suggest use an extra variable and a plugin to count what you want.

Basically the new variable will just act similarly to postnum, do increasing/reducing when certain requirements are met. Meanwhile in the frontend of your forum, the displaying of postnum can be replaced with the new variable.

I haven't used any credits related plugins but think some of them may help.