MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Allow Mobile Emojis in Posts?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey. How can I allow mobile emojis in posts? Currently posts that contain emojis, the emoji is replaced with a question mark "?".
This would be great to know as well
I think you just need to have an emoji font either on PC or loaded through the forum.
(2019-10-15, 12:23 AM)Sharree Wrote: [ -> ]Hey. How can I allow mobile emojis in posts? Currently posts that contain emojis, the emoji is replaced with a question mark "?".

You have to convert your posts table from utf8 to utf8mb4

Once you get that done, emojis will show properly. Don't forget private messages, reputation message, etc. anywhere you want them to be able to use emojis, convert that field to utf8mb4

EDIT: I should note that this will not repair previously posted emojis; only new ones.
(2019-10-15, 09:57 AM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-15, 12:23 AM)Sharree Wrote: [ -> ]Hey. How can I allow mobile emojis in posts? Currently posts that contain emojis, the emoji is replaced with a question mark "?".

You have to convert your posts table from utf8 to utf8mb4

Once you get that done, emojis will show properly. Don't forget private messages, reputation message, etc. anywhere you want them to be able to use emojis, convert that field to utf8mb4

EDIT: I should note that this will not repair previously posted emojis; only new ones.

Will an sql query need to be ran as well as editing the config.php file? Also, to clarify, will this enable ALL emojis, or only a select few?
(2019-10-15, 10:22 AM)makpaolo Wrote: [ -> ]Will an sql query need to be ran as well as editing the config.php file? Also, to clarify, will this enable ALL emojis, or only a select few?

Oh, yes. Changing the value in config.php is just a part of it.

You should back up your database and then using phpMyAdmin (or adminer, whatev) modify the collation of that text fields that you want to allow emojis in from utf8 to utf8mb4

If you are not comfortable doing this, or can't figure out how, just do a quick Google search. I made the change on my forum and there is no big grinding query. It is a simple change and then it is done almost instantly.
(2019-10-15, 09:54 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-15, 10:22 AM)makpaolo Wrote: [ -> ]Will an sql query need to be ran as well as editing the config.php file? Also, to clarify, will this enable ALL emojis, or only a select few?

You should back up your database and then using phpMyAdmin (or adminer, whatev) modify the collation of that text fields that you want to allow emojis in from utf8 to utf8mb4

If you are not comfortable doing this, or can't figure out how, just do a quick Google search. I made the change on my forum and there is no big grinding query. It is a simple change and then it is done almost instantly.

This is pretty cool. Thanks, I got it working.
Cool
(2019-10-15, 09:54 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks for the help. I was thinking I had to get a 3rd party script and include it in the header. I'll make those table adjustments later. Thanks again.
No problem. 👍