MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to I get DVS shoutbox to show on my site?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I found the shout box on the addon page in the ACP, the only instructions were to click on the "Install & Activate" button which I did, after that I refreshed the index page of my site, but no shoutbox.. I looked back in the ACP and found the settings for the shoutbox and went through them several times to try and make sure I undersyood everything and that nothing was stopping it from showing, all settings were okay so I left them alone..

I've now uninstalled and done the "Install & Activate" thing several times in case it didn't install properly, that has;"t solved the problem either..

Is this shoutbox no longer working? It seems whatever I do it won't show anywhere on my site.. I've looked for help documentation, but couldn't find anything, I even used the search feature to look for help docs, but nothing came up in the search results..

Can someone please explain in simple terms what needs doing, and where I need to go in the ACP to fix this, if it can be fixed, the better the instructions the better for this old man please, I'm still figuring out these sites and hopw to do things in the ACP..
(2019-10-16, 08:05 PM)SandyC Wrote: [ -> ]I found the shout box on the addon page in the ACP, the only instructions were to click on the "Install & Activate" button which I did, after that I refreshed the index page of my site, but no shoutbox.. I looked back in the ACP and found the settings for the shoutbox and went through them several times to try and make sure I undersyood everything and that nothing was stopping it from showing, all settings were okay so I left them alone..

I've now uninstalled and done the "Install & Activate" thing several times in case it didn't install properly, that has;"t solved the problem either..

Is this shoutbox no longer working? It seems whatever I do it won't show anywhere on my site.. I've looked for help documentation, but couldn't find anything, I even used the search feature to look for help docs, but nothing came up in the search results..

Can someone please explain in simple terms what needs doing, and where I need to go in the ACP to fix this, if it can be fixed, the better the instructions the better for this old man please, I'm still figuring out these sites and hopw to do things in the ACP..

Did you follow the instructions exactly that are found in the README file? Especially... #2 and #3

========= INSTALLATION ==============================================
1. upload the package from "UPLOAD" to your MyBB root directory
2. add CSS from STYLES.txt to your board stylesheets (e.g. global.css)
3. add {$dvz_shoutbox} to your index template
4. install the plugin in the ACP
(2019-10-16, 08:05 PM)SandyC Wrote: [ -> ]I found the shout box on the addon page in the ACP, the only instructions were to click on the "Install & Activate" button which I did, after that I refreshed the index page of my site, but no shoutbox.. I looked back in the ACP and found the settings for the shoutbox and went through them several times to try and make sure I undersyood everything and that nothing was stopping it from showing, all settings were okay so I left them alone..

You need to add the {$dvz_shoutbox} variable to ACP>Themes & Templates>Templates>Your Theme>Index Templates>index. Generally, you probably want to add it right under or above {$forums}, though that might not apply in your case. Then, copy the CSS supplied inside this zip archive in STYES.txt to ACP>Themes & Templates>Themes>Your Theme>global.css and paste it into it in advanced mode (advanced mode button visible at the top), then save. That should be it, though you might need to clear your browser cache for you to see the changes properly. If any more issues remain, then just reinstall the theme, but make sure to do the above first.
I have to go through all that after finding it on the plugin page, then clicking the Install and Activate? It's obviously already added to my site as I can go into it and change about 15 different settings like how many shouts show, how many to keep archived etc etc.. It's kind of weird that all the other plugins I've added are working fine after clicking the Install and Activate on the plugin page in my ACP, yet this needs all this extra work..

If this doesn't work I'm giving up, my members will have to go without a shoutbox, and I thought adding the shoutbox was just a matter of clicking a button like with the other addins or plugins..
It's not working because you failed to read / follow the simple instructions on the plugin download page. Don't make us spoon feed you by giving instructions that are already clearly stated on the download page.
There's no instructions on the plugin page, it's all click an Install and Activate button to install and add everything for us..
We already say you @ https://community.mybb.com/thread-224968.html that there is instructions :
(2019-10-14, 10:58 AM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-14, 05:05 AM)SandyC Wrote: [ -> ]This was an add on, all I was supposed to do was click on install and activate to add it to my site and in theory get it going.. I haven't found any documentation for this yet, despite searching for anything..
Reading the download page and the README.txt file in the archive, there is an "Installation" part explaining what to do.
I can't see the line "just click on install and activate", but I can see add {$dvz_shoutbox} to your index template.

Sorry, but RTFM before complain.

DVZ Shoutbox don't change the template because YOU know where you want to add the shoutbox on your page, Devilshakerz can't know that by advance.

(2019-10-14, 10:15 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-14, 09:27 PM)SandyC Wrote: [ -> ]I still need help please folks, I can't find any help files to help me get this thing to show.. According to all the settings in my ACP everything is as it should be, so no reason for it to not show anywhere on site.. I wouldn't expect help files when all I had to do was click a Install and Activate"button..
Just read previous message :

(2019-10-13, 12:05 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]ACP -> Templates & Style -> Templates -> Select your theme -> Index Page Templates -> index

And add {$dvz_shoutbox} where you want to display your shoutbox.
Stop saying "I just have to click", stop being lazzy and read the answers we made to you.
(2019-10-17, 05:15 AM)SandyC Wrote: [ -> ]I have to go through all that after finding it on the plugin page, then clicking the Install and Activate? It's obviously already added to my site as I can go into it and change about 15 different settings like how many shouts show, how many to keep archived etc etc.. It's kind of weird that all the other plugins I've added are working fine after clicking the Install and Activate on the plugin page in my ACP, yet this needs all this extra work..

If this doesn't work I'm giving up, my members will have to go without a shoutbox, and I thought adding the shoutbox was just a matter of clicking a button like with the other addins or plugins..
Could you PM me a temporary admin account on your forum? I'd be willing to set it up for you.
(2019-10-17, 09:36 AM)SandyC Wrote: [ -> ]There's no instructions on the plugin page, it's all click an Install and Activate button to install and add everything for us..

You did not read my post #2.

The instructions are in the README file.

Go back and re-read my post #2 and you will be able to install the plugin.