MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum functionality and appearance on mobile devices.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have just created a new forum with mybb.  The URL is https://stevejabbaforum.com

I'm a bit concerned about the appearance on mobile.  It is not mobile optimised at all and since the majority of web traffic is now mobile (and the % is increasing), I think it will stymie growth without mobile functionality.

I have noted other forums are using mbb go mobile, but it does not appear to be "officially" supported anymore...Moreover the designer seems to be stating that the latest version of mybb should be mobile optimised.

I have the very latest version of mybb.  mybb_1821.

Is there a theme or plugin I should be using for best display on mobile.

Thanks very much in advance.

Steve
(2019-10-18, 05:49 PM)stevejabbaeron Wrote: [ -> ]I have just created a new forum with mybb.  The URL is https://stevejabbaforum.com

I'm a bit concerned about the appearance on mobile.  It is not mobile optimised at all and since the majority of web traffic is now mobile (and the % is increasing), I think it will stymie growth without mobile functionality.

I have noted other forums are using mbb go mobile, but it does not appear to be "officially" supported anymore...Moreover the designer seems to be stating that the latest version of mybb should be mobile optimised.

Steve

Regarding finding a mobile theme, your best bet is to find an author that does paid themes. 

I use one and if I am not mistaken, all of his paid themes are mobile-friendly.  His pricing is very reasonable.

He does carry a few non-paid themes, but those are not generally mobile-friendly, but you can get a good idea of how his themes look and function.

PM me if you want to know who he is.
Check MyBB custom themes here: https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?acti...ory=themes
... and here: https://community.mybb.com/forum-104.html
for responsive themes that should be mobile friendly.

Also, still under developing MyBB 1.9 is committed to be mobile friendly, check https://community.mybb.com/thread-215211.html .
(2019-10-18, 05:49 PM)stevejabbaeron Wrote: [ -> ]I have just created a new forum with mybb.  The URL is https://stevejabbaforum.com

Steve
I'd generally recommend using paid themes, but if you want a free mobile-friendly one, I'd recommend this theme and a couple other ones here.
(2019-10-18, 07:09 PM)mTurtle_ Wrote: [ -> ]

Steve
I'd generally recommend using paid themes,  but if you want a free mobile-friendly one, I'd recommend this theme and a couple other ones here.

I have no problem at all paying. I have already checked the mybb community and saw the NetPen theme which has the most stars.  Downloaded the instructions but they make no sense.  Mentions extracting the contents of the upload folder to root, but there are folders all over the place - I do not see how that will work,  and bearing in mind I am not a techie, will probably break my functional site.

Just want something that is mobile friendly, that works, with clear instructions that make sense...Where can I get these paid themes? Sorry if I appear a dummy - I am TOTALLY new to this!

Thanks once again

Steve
(2019-10-18, 07:47 PM)stevejabbaeron Wrote: [ -> ]

Steve
I'd generally recommend using paid themes,  but if you want a free mobile-friendly one, I'd recommend this theme and a couple other ones here.

I have no problem at all paying. I have already checked the mybb community and saw the NetPen theme which has the most stars.  Downloaded the instructions but they make no sense.  Mentions extracting the contents of the upload folder to root, but there are folders all over the place - I do not see how that will work,  and bearing in mind I am not a techie, will probably break my functional site.

Just want something that is mobile friendly, that works, with clear instructions that make sense...Where can I get these paid themes? Sorry if I appear a dummy - I am TOTALLY new to this!

Thanks once again

Steve
There's a directory called Upload, from which you have to upload the files to their respective location on your server -- for example, Upload/images/logo.png would go to your-server/images/logo.png. Then, install the theme-name.xml file in the Themes section in your ACP (yourforum.tld/admin). As for the paid themes, I'd recommend looking here, and also here, though there aren't as many. My personal recommendation would be this theme, as it is very well made and looks great. Shy

Steve

Thanks once again

Steve

You have nothing to lose by downloading and using a free theme, but the author of that theme has a bad reputation and has been banned. His ripped themes should also be deleted by staff, instead of placing a burden on the community to answer questions like these and possibly having to provide support.

You can generally find paid themes in the Request / Services / Jobs forum.

All this bearing in mind that you are not going to find many active developers due to the lack of development on the MyBB product itself.
Thanks so much. Thank god I didn't try and use it then!  His theme has the most stars - lucky I was cautious.

Beginning to think I should have use different forum software rather than mybb now due to the lack of development...But it does come highly recommended.

Thankyou for your help.
(2019-10-19, 06:49 AM)stevejabbaeron Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks so much. Thank god I didn't try and use it then!  His theme has the most stars - lucky I was cautious.

Beginning to think I should have use different forum software rather than mybb now due to the lack of development...But it does come highly recommended.

Thankyou for your help.

I am not sure where you got the information about 'lack of development', but compared to other free CMS forum software, MyBB gets updated more often than many other CMS forum software.
(2019-10-19, 05:53 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]

I have noted other forums are using mbb go appvalley mobile, but it does not appear to be "officially" supported anymore...Moreover the designer seems to be stating that the latest version of mybb should be mobile optimised.

Steve

Thanks once again

Steve

You have nothing to lose by downloading and using a free theme, but the author of that theme has a bad reputation and has been banned. His ripped themes should also be deleted by staff, instead of placing a burden on the community to answer questions like these and possibly having to provide support.

You can generally find paid themes in the Request / Services / Jobs forum.

All this bearing in mind that you are not going to find many active developers due to the lack of development on the MyBB product itself.

Thank you so much for your advice @Ashley1.