MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A little clarification on the conversion process please?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please forgive me if any of my questions are boneheaded, but....

phpBB 3.1.12 to MyBB 1.8.21
>578,000 posts

As I'm understanding this, I have my current phpBB board running in, say /forum, and my MyBB board in /forum2.

I upload the conversion files to /forum2 and run it from there.

Does the converter import my phpBB database to the MyBB one or does it make changes to the phpBB db and use it? i.e. will the phpBB board still work?

What do I do with the attachments folder, leave it in the old directory or move it to the MyBB one? And should the attachments still work? Does it preserve the old paths for attachments and smilies or will my 404's go through the roof?

Is it best to disable extensions or does that matter?

Can the converter handle 500k+ posts?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make absolutely sure I'm doing this right since screwing anything up could be kind of catastrophic.
MyBB uses required data from your phpBB database.
your phpBB database exists & your phpBB board works.

Merge system has provision to import attachments.
however can't say that it works as intended.
smilies & inline images might not work ...

disabling extensions on phpBB is not necessary.

Merge system can handle large databases.
it actually depends on power of your web server.

personally I prefer using a localhost server [eg. XAMPP] for the conversion.

MyBB on XAMPP | phpBB on XAMPP
Thank you, .m.. I'm not expecting perfection on the images and attachments. Can't speak for some of the users, though. <roll eyes>

I've had bad luck trying to run XAMPP, so I guess I'll find a time when I've had plenty of sleep and try it on the server. The test conversion I just did ran pretty quickly - but there were only around 50 posts. Sounds fairly safe as long as the old board isn't affected.

And I got the problem others posted about with the <t> tags surrounding the posts and the <br/>'s on the paragraphs. But that's another issue.

Thanks for the help.
^ missing topics / posts
if your phpBB board has many child forums then
it would be better to move the topics to parent forum & try merge system

html tags & breaks
after completing the conversion, SQL queries can be tried to fix such codes
or HTML in Posts plugin may be used to fix most of those html code tags