MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Hide board, but show member profiles for guests?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2019-11-29, 12:53 AM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]This is not a bug. This is expected behavior.

If you can't see the board, then ofc you can't see profiles.

This should have been rejected.

Well I have a Discord bot that can verify members on my website, but this means the bot has to view the members profile to grab the selected code from the users signature. Basically the bot will send them a code to copy and paste to their signature, and the bot will verify that the signature has been updated and verify them in the server.

What is the best way to do this then with the board offline?
(2019-12-05, 10:23 PM)makpaolo Wrote: [ -> ]Well I have a Discord bot that can verify members on my website, but this means the bot has to view the members profile to grab the selected code from the users signature. Basically the bot will send them a code to copy and paste to their signature, and the bot will verify that the signature has been updated and verify them in the server.

The better question is why can't guests just be allowed to see profiles?

What is the harm?
(2019-12-06, 08:38 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-12-05, 10:23 PM)makpaolo Wrote: [ -> ]Well I have a Discord bot that can verify members on my website, but this means the bot has to view the members profile to grab the selected code from the users signature. Basically the bot will send them a code to copy and paste to their signature, and the bot will verify that the signature has been updated and verify them in the server.

The better question is why can't guests just be allowed to see profiles?

What is the harm?

I'm lost at what you're saying right now. You're asking basically what i am asking lol..

If u mean what is the harm for guests to view my board, is I believe it is incentive if u wish to see my board, then u must sign up to be part of the community. Yes I can use plugin to just hide thread content, but I am not looking to do that with my board.

I think if we skip all the "what is" "why this" all that, and instead come to solution that works it wil be easier. Smile
(2019-12-06, 09:12 PM)makpaolo Wrote: [ -> ]I think if we skip all the "what is" "why this" all that, and instead come to solution that works it wil be easier. Smile

How do you expect me to help you without asking questions? Huh

Is this a Discord bot that you control? Can you use a more direct integration like OAuth to connect users?
There might be several scenarios that "the board is closed to some certain group of users":
  • The **whole board** is set to closed in the Board Settings. However, any user can still have access to the whole board by ticking its usergroup's permission Can view board when closed?. So these user can access the board but commonly guests/bots are denied services.
  • The whole board is open. But users in a specific usergroup has a global permission Can view board? unchecked so that they can't use anything the board offers.
  • The whole board is open. But forums has their own view permission Can view forum? for each usergroup. Then users in any usergroup can be assigned with much granular permissions of viewing each individual forum and viewing user profiles.

So I had this reply before:
(2019-11-26, 11:18 AM)noyle Wrote: [ -> ]It'll be possible to fulfill OP's aim, by leaving "Can view board?" and "Can view user profiles?" (canviewprofiles in usergroups) on, but switching each individual forum's view permission "Can view forum?" (also named canview but in forumpermissions) to off.

Yes, it is "board" not "forums".

In my opinion, that could be a solution.
Pages: 1 2