MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Plugin for the moderation of private messages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys,

I searched through the whole forum and can't find a plugin for the moderation of private messages.
I'm looking for a solution that allows me, as admin, to check every message from every user before its sending.
I'm really wondering that nobody made such a plugin.

Do you know any kind of plugin?

Kind regards,
skrilaxrev
If you don't trust your members, deactivate the PN system. Wink
That's not a good solution Big Grin

I want them to ask relevant questions in the topics and they shall write PNs when they have some things like the illness of the mother or a password for something Big Grin
This is totaly unethical!!! What is the word you don't understand in PRIVATE message ???
... anyway, Private Message Log plugin may be used !
We already have Private Message Log. There we also saw that many questions for the topics are lost. People ask the thread opener via PN.

Private message should be used for private topics in my eyes. If a public topic is lost via the PN, the community can no longer participate.

We do not mind if private topics are discussed by PM!

It is not unethical to moderate the private messages. Users also send SPAM with promotional links via PM. Our Forum is special in this case and needs special care.

Actually, I can not believe that so far no one had the desire to moderate PNs. PHPbb has a plugin for this case. So, it seems, more people wanted this and don't find it unethical.

Also, if you find this unethical, please delete your Whatsapp, your Skype, every flirt portal and so on.

But please, let us not discuss about principles. I asked an easy question.

How can i moderate PNs?
First, I haven't whatapps, skype, FB, twitter, or any social / flirting network.
I'm present on some forums and on my own IRC network, no more Smile

But I can't imagine any network nor forum where an admin will decide himself if a private discussion between two persons is authorized or not, based on the content of personnal messages.

If you want to fight against PM spam, create rules to forbid use of PM for new pple, and let pple report the spam they receive. Try Restrict PM Smile
I developed a pm info plugin in the last couple hours....but I guess that isn't the right one for you.

[attachment=42377]
(2019-12-06, 10:35 AM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]This is totaly unethical!!! What is the word you don't understand in PRIVATE message ???
(2019-12-06, 04:08 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]First, I haven't whatapps, skype, FB, twitter, or any social / flirting network.
I'm present on some forums and on my own IRC network, no more Smile

But I can't imagine any network nor forum where an admin will decide himself if a private discussion between two persons is authorized or not, based on the content of personnal messages.

If you want to fight against PM spam, create rules to forbid use of PM for new pple, and let pple report the spam they receive. Try Restrict PM Smile

I must say, I really love people like you, when you ask a specific question in a forum and you get the answer, I should not ask this question because it is against YOUR point of view and here is the solution for the question I would have asked. Wink

Neither you know my forum, or me or what the people are writting "private". Nobody confesses their love to someone or tells them that they only have a few weeks to live. It is always about the same topics in relation to the topics of the forum. The reasons why nobody should read along what they write "private" are simply that someone wants to sell something to someone else. This is even allowed in our forum, but only under the conditions of our rules and our moderation, which takes place in the public forum and the public forum only. The reason for this is, that the community can discuss the offers together to to expose scammers, which is the purpose of our forum. You see, it is a little bit special?

All I am searching is a way to check private messages before they are going through (a manual spam filter if you want). It is not unethical to do so and I don't know in what world you life if you believe so. People are registered at my platform and it is an open information in our forum rules that private messages are red by the forum team. If you don't like this, you don't have to sign up in my forum. If people want to write private, they can make contact  in their own way by... maybe call each other. Private message in our forum are used as "bussines messages" in 99% of the cases. And not always in a good way, but people get scammed also and not only from new members. So, yes, I don't trust my members and there are reasons for that in the market where my forum operates.

So don't tell me what to do about the moderation style of my forum, Crazycat, but answer my question, either say nothing. I am doing the right thing here. It would be more unethical to do nothing. But thank you for the link, I already knew that plugin. But maybe it would be the right thing to deactivate PNs completly after all, if they would be not needed for sending private data as payment adresses and so on.

(2019-12-06, 04:08 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]create rules to forbid use of PM for new pple, and let pple report the spam they receive.

Oh really? You don't say! Nobody asked for your opinion, I asked a simple question. HOW TO MODERATE PN's. You could also answer "I don't know.".

(2019-12-06, 04:08 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]I'm present on some forums and on my own IRC network, no more Smile

Don't forget to throw your mobile phone out of the window. Control is not always unethical if it serves a more ethical community in example.

So, before you judge next time, ask for the context if you don't understand it fully, so somebody can expand your horizon, but don't be a snob raising your personal opinion above it all.

We all can see what this is leading to, no solution, but offtopic. Sorry for that.
Check with Laird about his Conversations plug-in. It is close to what you are looking for. Essentially it turns private messages into a private discussion forum. The only part missing is the default usergroup admin participant with editing capability. We were discussing the possible evolution of the plugin, and considered deleting messages, which is not currently available. However, editing messages to change objectionable content is not such a far reach, nor is default admin capability.

Since his plugin uses core code in a different way, it might be a stretch to expect admin approval before sending a message, but I could see editing after it's sent is a possible feature easier to add.

If you do find someone to write a plugin as you specified in your OP, the first thing you should do is change all references to the communication system to be anything else but "Private". That label is what invokes CrazyCat's response, and mine as well, because most folks understand what privacy means. Perhaps "Instant Messages" would cool some of the heat of that argument.

But call it something else if there is no reasonable expectation of privacy, like one would expect with some of the examples you mentioned. Only bad actors violate that reasonable social expectation.
Pages: 1 2