MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Unable to find the error log file. Check your server & optimization settings.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was having this same problem before so I make a clean installation to check if that would fix it but im having the same problem again, I already enabled error logging on the settings like this

Use Error Handling > On
Error Logging Medium > Log Errors
Error Type Medium > Warnings & Errors
Error Logging Location > ./error.log

But no error.log file is found when I check my forum root through FTP or through file transfer using my cPanel, I also installed this plugin to see if I could check the logs from the ACP but nothing, it just gives me the "Unable to find the error log file. Check your server & optimization settings." error message.

Anyone know how to fix this?
thanks and if it helps... its on the latest version of mybb
Peharps your website runs with another user than yours (usualy, it's www-data, it could also be www or apache) and this user cannot write in your root directory.
You can try creating an empty error.log file and change its rights (666, not so evil Smile) and you'll see if it works.
Or change the location to a writeable directory, as ./cache or ./admin/backups
(2019-12-12, 12:12 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]Peharps your website runs with another user than yours (usualy, it's www-data, it could also be www or apache) and this user cannot write in your root directory.
You can try creating an empty error.log file and change its rights (666, not so evil Smile) and you'll see if it works.
Or change the location to a writeable directory, as ./cache or ./admin/backups

Thank you, that fixed it, the log is empty because i dont have any errors yet but I dont see the error message from before and the warnings & errors table is now showing so I believe its working now