MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Transfer Forum Process
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I am looking to transfer a forum from one GoDaddy Account to another. I saw this thread and I think it should be straightforward. But will everything be transparent at the user end? In other words, this transfer all of the accounts and not just threads?

https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/faq/moving-to-a-new-web-host/

In more detail, here is what I intend to do so let me know if something is off:

1. Install MyBB on the new GoDaddy account. Ensure both forums are on the same build.
2. Backup existing forum.
3. Install backup to new forum.
4. Perform site customization (html/js) on the new forum (if necessary). The existing has some customization and I am not sure if this will carry through.

Thanks.
if you use the same set of files and the database then the transfer will consist of everything which existed ..

there is no need of installing a new instance of MyBB on the new webhost account.

after transferring the files & the database
you have to edit configuration file [./inc/config.php] to put the transferred database details
[config.php related guidance]
That does seem to be a more direct option.

When I created the first forum, I used the GoDaddy "Installer" tool, which set everything up. I was planning on doing that again on the new host since I don't understand some of those settings. Is that OK too?
as suggested, installing a new MyBB forum is not really required.
you have to use the same set of the files & the database on the new webhost account.

transferring the database & editing configuration file might be confusing ..
looking at a few search results might help in understanding the process

or you can ask your webhost support technicians to transfer the forum
or you can hire someone here to transfer your forum
(2020-01-02, 02:06 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]as suggested, installing a new MyBB forum is not really required.
you have to use the same set of the files & the database on the new webhost account.

transferring the database & editing configuration file might be confusing ..
looking at a few search results might help in understanding the process

or you can ask your webhost support technicians to transfer the forum
or you can hire someone here to transfer your forum
Agree with .m.

@OP: I wrote a tutorial long time ago in simple steps which you can follow
https://wallbb.co.uk/mybb-forum-backup-r...-tutorial/
Great, thanks for the help. I will give it a go soon now that I am ready. If it doesn't work out, I suppose I can just start from scratch and notify the users to create a new account. It is a newer forum so that may be the path of least resistance, but still worth a shot a converting it over.
(2020-01-02, 01:16 AM)stresser Wrote: [ -> ]1. Install MyBB on the new GoDaddy account. Ensure both forums are on the same build.
2. Backup existing forum.
3. Install backup to new forum.
4. Perform site customization (html/js) on the new forum (if necessary). The existing has some customization and I am not sure if this will carry through.

reg. 1.) There is no need to install MyBB! You don't need to follow the installation process! When you're running an existing forum, then copy all files (1:1) to the new host.
After all, just edit the ./in/config.php with new database credentials. That's it in terms of the forum basis.
Then you're fine to import the database (SQL) backup.

(2020-01-10, 09:00 PM)stresser Wrote: [ -> ][...] If it doesn't work out, I suppose I can just start from scratch and notify the users to create a new account. [...]
Hey, that's no option! Why so pessimistic? Smile

[ExiTuS]
I was having some challenges migrating it (and some conflicting information), so I just decided to create a new forum. This is mostly OK, minus the fact that users need to create new accounts. Now that both forums exist, it is possible to migrate just the user database in a relatively simple manner? If so, that is close enough to what I need. I already recreated the important threads.
You've taken a much harder route than necessary. Migrating your old user's data may cause conflicts and can potentially overwrite any new data on the new forum you've created.
Thanks for the heads up. I will just have the users create new accounts and we can start fresh. It was still a newer forum so its not too bad. If it was more established, I would have made for effort (or hired someone) to do a proper migration. Maybe next time.