MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Easier way to mass mail?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there an easier way to mass mail? The current mass mailing system is quite confusing to me to create a nice looking email (even when using HTML).

Possibly a plugin or an easier way to format emails
Why that?
Of course you need to create the mail content. And if you wanna HTML content, you need to do so anyway.
So what makes the onboard editor confusing? Smile

-

If you don't want to use MyBB mass mail system, you do not need to use MyBB. The following solution could be a more easier way or a more difficult one, depending on skills:

Do you have terminal access to your webserver via shell and are you familiar with what your fully HTML mail looks like?
Then why not use the operating system mail subsystem to send mass messages!? Smile

1. Create a message template with header and HTML content as a plain file.
2. Call the mysql shell - then select all mail addresses from users table - or save these to another file.
3.1. Do a loop on all addresses to run a mail command with the message file as content
or alternatively
3.2. Do a loop on all ... and call the PHP mail function

[ExiTuS]
(2020-01-03, 11:49 PM)[ExiTuS] Wrote: [ -> ]Why that?
Of course you need to create the mail content. And if you wanna HTML content, you need to do so anyway.
So what makes the onboard editor confusing? Smile

-

If you don't want to use MyBB mass mail system, you do not need to use MyBB. The following solution could be a more easier way or a more difficult one, depending on skills:

Do you have terminal access to your webserver via shell and are you familiar with what your fully HTML mail looks like?
Then why not use the operating system mail subsystem to send mass messages!? Smile

1. Create a message template with header and HTML content as a plain file.
2. Call the mysql shell - then select all mail addresses from users table - or save these to another file.
3.1. Do a loop on all addresses to run a mail command with the message file as content
or alternatively
3.2. Do a loop on all ... and call the PHP mail function

[ExiTuS]

The editor is a bit confusing, especially when trying to view a preview of the HTML version -- you simply can't. So if there is even the slightest mistake in the code, then it can affect the whole email.

As far as the other suggestion goes, I am not entirely sure how to do all of that unfortunately, which is why I was seeing if anyone is using an alternative Sad

I appreciate the very informative post though Exitus, and if I can't seem to find another solution, I'll try to look into how to do those steps (e.g. #2 is something I am not entirely sure on how to do, and that would affect 3.1 and 3.2)
You could create a draft of an email in your regular email client.
Then view source and copy paste
This code was created in Thunderbird.

<html>
  <head>

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p><font size="+1">Large type</font></p>
    <p><font size="+1"><font size="-2">Tiny type</font></font></p>
    <p><font size="+1"><font size="-2"><b>Bold tiny</b></font></font></p>
    <p><font size="+1" color="#ff0900"><font size="-2"><b>Color tiny</b></font></font></p>
    <p>Back to medium<br>
    </p>
  </body>
</html>