MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: phpBB2MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been developing a utility to migrate from phpBB forums to mybb, and thought I'd post this second alpha release for your feedback and so you can test (even though the nature of this forum makes most people here mybb hardcore fans Toungue)

phpBB2MyBB alpha 0.2 now imports:
  • Users and their preferences
  • Forums and their containing categories
  • Admin and moderator configuration
  • Threads and posts
  • Announcements (plus global announcements from any mods using the valid database schema / ready for 2.2)
  • Polls
  • BBCode > MyCode in posts/announcements
In the coming stages of development I'll be making the importing process complete - the main remaining tasks are:
  • Private Messages
  • Smilies
  • Usergroups/ranks
  • General settings/statistics
  • Banlists
  • BBCode/MyCode in sigs

The file must be uploaded in the root directory of the mybb installation. That's it. You then run the file and follow the instructions (i.e. type the phpbb path, possibly choose an announcement mode, then click next a lot).

Compatibility warning: This release has been developed only with phpBB 2.0.10 and MyBB RC3 (sp1). Backwards compatibility will come later. The importer may already be backwards compatible, but there's no guarantee (as you will be told if you attempt, though you can still give it a go). Although phpBB will never be affected by any import, it's probably best if you upgrade to the latest version before thinking of using this importer, to save yourself any grief. There's no real reason to use anything but the latest mybb. Anything in the mybb gets wiped anyway.
Thanks for posting this Lobster. If I get chance I'll test this on localhost.

I'm sure plenty of people will benefit from this utility once it is complete. Smile
Popular or not, I'd better keep this thread current Smile I just released an update:

phpBB2MyBB alpha 0.3 now imports:
  • Threads and posts
  • Announcements (plus global announcements from any mods using the valid database schema / ready for 2.2)
  • Polls
  • Private Messages
  • BBCode/MyCode in sigs
This release is now for MyBB RC4. As there hasn't been much time for people to react since the last release for RC3, this version will tolerate RC3, should as far as I can see work with it, but is not officially supported and RC4 is the recommended version.
Still at the top of my to-do list:
  • Smilies
  • Usergroups/ranks
  • Banlists
  • Finally, a backwards compatibility analysis, and possible inclusion of backwards compatibility for early phpBB versions (however primarily to pick up versions that don't require an upgrade to be imported)

Hope that's in good working order Smile It's now past the user-specific elements - the rest can be done by an admin in not too long. Of course, it's not perfect until they don't have to do anything but click next Toungue
Can you make an export.php or something that can make mybb2phbb
why would you want that?? If you want that, shouldn't you ask at the phpBB forums.
Yeah, nobody in the myBB community is likely to provide you with a tool to move onto a rival product. If you really want to move away from myBB, then you need to ask at phpBB forums.
Why would anyone want to move from myBB to phpBB anyway? Toungue If someone thinks that's worth spending time on it's not me - most likely you'll find them on the phpBB forums as said above Toungue

Anyway, update time...

Smile Smile it's another update!

phpBB2MyBB alpha 0.4 now imports:
  • Threads and posts
  • Polls
  • Private Messages
  • BBCode/MyCode in sigs
  • Smilies Smile
This release is for MyBB RC4. As there hasn't been much time for people to react since the last release for RC3, this version will tolerate RC3, should as far as I can see work with it, but is not officially supported and RC4 is the recommended version.
Still at the top of my to-do list:
  • Usergroups/ranks
  • Banlists
  • Finally, a backwards compatibility analysis, and possible inclusion of backwards compatibility for early phpBB versions (however primarily to pick up versions that don't require an upgrade to be imported)
I've also fixed a few fairly important bugs that were picked up when I did a test on one of my real-life phpbb forums, which obviously had more variation than the rather contrived test forums I set up. Those forums now import perfectly, so 99% at least should do the same for others.

If anyone has any heavily modded forums i'd be interested to know if they have any problems. One of my discoveries has been that different types of row (such as types of private message or post) tend to get added to, which can throw the converter when it encounters unexpected types.

Same rules apply as for the previous releases Toungue
Woah...i think this should be done by now...Its been 2 years!! wats happened to it?!
Does this still move crucial information such as posts categories and users? If so I am definitly moving over.
Pages: 1 2