MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: need help: another 'authorization code mismatch' error; probably IP related
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there,

I recently took over the administration of our association's message board.
As I only administered an SMF message board before - and even that was like ten years ago - I first had to get used to it.
Eventually, I successfully upgraded the board from version 1.6.11 over 1.8.12 to 1.8.21. So far, so good.

Now I'm in the process of adding more features, which I miss from being mainly a user (not admin) of phpBB and SMF for many years.

I unfortunately can't post a url or give out a test account because the message board contains sensitive data which I am not allowed to compromise.
Hopefully you can still help me.
If really necessary I could set up this board again with the same settings but strip it from contents.

The recent problem is "Authorization code mismatch. Are you accessing this function correctly?" BUT it has to be related to cookies or IP. Because it only happens if I play with a test setup either on my localhost or on a different web server (working from the same machine).

Of course I first used the search function and found some solutions to the problem; but either I didn't understand everything, missed something in my attempts to solve the problem or I didn't yet find the fitting solution for my problem.

It didn't happen after an upgrade (or rather: it did in a previous attempt but I fixed it; it was the "www" problem).
Also it doesn't seem to be a problem about the theme/template as suggested in a few threads (because I didn't change the theme and it worked for a while without problems).

At first I also dismissed it having to to with IP (as suggested here: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/3762 [which I haven't completely understood tbh]), as this problem only appeared in my Chrome Browser and in Firefox it worked just fine. Once deleting cookies helped, but the problem reappeared and then also in both Chrome and Firefox; I just tried it on Opera as well and the same error appears.

I haven't installed any mods yet as far as I remember; and the only template modification I made was this:
https://community.mybb.com/thread-202442.html
Also I made a custom myBB- code like here: https://community.mybb.com/thread-206353...pid1254753
But the problem already appeared before that.

Could you think of any other bug I missed?
Or could you explain me the IP issue and how to solve it?

I still have quite some modifications on my ToDo list, so not being able to work on my localhost test forum sucks hard.

Glad about any help I can get.

Thanks a lot,
~charly
If the board is running MyBB 1.8.21, try upgrading to 1.8.22 - the Issue you linked to was resolved in that version.
(2020-01-09, 04:04 PM)oxytocinated Wrote: [ -> ]I unfortunately can't post a url or give out a test account because the message board contains sensitive data which I am not allowed to compromise.
Hopefully you can still help me.

It is possible to create a user test account with limited permissions.
In the past, I have created a forum FOR OUTSIDE DEBUGGING
and a user group DEBUG with limited access.

ACP / Users and Groups, select Groups in left menu, Add New User Group
Set DEBUG group permissions as desired by editing settings in all 5 tabs.
I permitted access to Admin CP, because Tools and Maintenance was useful for my scenario.

Create a new user account.
ACP / Users and Groups / Create New User
Select Primary User Group as DEBUG, ensure no others are selected in Additional User Groups.

Set admin permissions if desired.
ACP / Users and Groups, select Admin Permissions from the left menu.
Select new user you created above, and walk through the 5 admin permissions tabs.

Create Forum with acceptable content for your purposes.
ACP / Forums and Posts
Set permissions for the forum, both for existing user groups and the new user group at the bottom of the page.

You can lock down or open up in any combination you wish. When immediate testing is complete, you can change the test account password, or you can delete the user account, or back down to original account/forum/permission combo you might need. I changed my test account username and password, so the configuration is ready to use the next time I need it.

Obviously, you'll need to evaluate forum permissions, group permissions and admin permissions as needed each time.
Same here Sad
(2020-01-09, 05:48 PM)Devilshakerz Wrote: [ -> ]If the board is running MyBB 1.8.21, try upgrading to 1.8.22 - the Issue you linked to was resolved in that version.
Thank you, that seemed to have helped. [edit]nope, unfortunately it didn't :/

I still can't play with it and try everything because now I have a problem with phpmyadmin all of a sudden.
But we'll see... I'm sure I'll somehow tame that beast.

(2020-01-09, 05:51 PM)HLFadmin Wrote: [ -> ]It is possible to create a user test account with limited permissions.
In the past, I have created a forum FOR OUTSIDE DEBUGGING
and a user group DEBUG with limited access.

ACP / Users and Groups, select Groups in left menu, Add New User Group
Set DEBUG group permissions as desired by editing settings in all 5 tabs.
I permitted access to Admin CP, because Tools and Maintenance was useful for my scenario.

Create a new user account.
ACP / Users and Groups / Create New User
Select Primary User Group as DEBUG, ensure no others are selected in Additional User Groups.

Set admin permissions if desired.
ACP / Users and Groups, select Admin Permissions from the left menu.
Select new user you created above, and walk through the 5 admin permissions tabs.

Create Forum with acceptable content for your purposes.
ACP / Forums and Posts
Set permissions for the forum, both for existing user groups and the new user group at the bottom of the page.

You can lock down or open up in any combination you wish. When immediate testing is complete, you can change the test account password, or you can delete the user account, or back down to original account/forum/permission combo you might need. I changed my test account username and password, so the configuration is ready to use the next time I need it.

Obviously, you'll need to evaluate forum permissions, group permissions and admin permissions as needed each time.
Thanks, I know about that, but it's very good to have a guide at hand Smile

Still I am too much a n00b and not security savvy enough to let anyone in into this board with sensitive data. I'd rather strip the contents and give out a test account then, if necessary.