MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: is there a way to block access to a path
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So as the title says. I've asked this before but never got an answer. I'm hosting some important dlls on my website. Currently, if they know what the path for the dll is, for example: "yoursite.com/important/sys32.dll" they can just download it. Is there a way to block their access to the path? I have a little program that needs access to the dll tho. And the only thing that should have access to the dll is my program. Does anyone have an idea how to achieve smth like this? Please tell me!
(2020-01-18, 11:57 AM)Authority Wrote: [ -> ]So as the title says. I've asked this before but never got an answer. I'm hosting some important dlls on my website. Currently, if they know what the path for the dll is, for example: "yoursite.com/important/sys32.dll" they can just download it. Is there a way to block their access to the path? I have a little program that needs access to the dll tho. And the only thing that should have access to the dll is my program. Does anyone have an idea how to achieve smth like this? Please tell me!
Hello,
I'm assuming you're on a windows server? If so, I'd recommend looking into user group settings and permissions, allow only one group to access that file, and run the program under that group.
as you might know from my other posts, I'm pretty retarded. So I'm hosting my site on Namecheap(if that matters). But how would I make just 1 user group access a specific path? Can that be done in mybb? Do I need a custom plugin? Sorry for all these stupid questions, but I'm trying to learn.
(2020-01-18, 02:47 PM)Authority Wrote: [ -> ]But how would I make just 1 user group access a specific path? Can that be done in mybb?

No as its a file permission. You're confusing user groups for mybb user groups. They're not one and the same and they are not interchangable.
a file permission? hmm. I still don't really understand how to set up permissions just for my program to access the path, and nothing else. Like how can that be achieved? Can that be achieved with a custom plugin or smth? I'm really sorry for being retarded, but I'm trying to learn Big Grin also sorry for late response
Easily? You can’t. It can’t be achieved with a plug-in as it isn’t a code thing, it’s a server thing. And if you start randomly blocking access to things other things will break.
I would assume your question is obviously oriented to the "Web [...] Administration" category explicit within the forum name.

I'm quite confused by your inquery. Do you intend to disable access to one specific file or folder? Could you clarify how a user who knows nothing about the location of such file would be able to locate it and somehow execute it?

I'm assuming the following will help you but I'm honestly far from sure:
https://www.doteasy.com/cpanel-hosting-f...ermissions
Well. By decrypting the strings on my program they can check the location of my file. They could also use software similar to Wireshark and fiddler to get https request and then see in what location my file is hosted at. 

as an answer if I want to block access to a file or folder. Well, I want to block access to a specific file, but the file will be in a randomly named folder so I would have to block access to the actual folder and not only the file. Also thanks for the post. Will check it out! Sorry for my bad English. trying my best ;D

(2020-01-25, 03:53 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Easily? You can’t. It can’t be achieved with a plug-in as it isn’t a code thing, it’s a server thing. And if you start randomly blocking access to things other things will break.
Well, i don't see how things would break. It's not like I will block access to random folders. Also I found a way to block access for everyone but my program. i'm using a custom user agent string. Unless you get the user agent string you can't access my file :3