MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Do you develop for IE6?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Th only reason to "develop" for IE6 would be for the lulz
I've worked for two digital agencies in the past year who only support IE11, and even that is best efforts. As far as I was aware IE6 hasn't been a consideration at all for at least 5 years, and even then it was only for local government/hospital clients, and cost extra. Google only supports the last 2 versions of any browser, and other big sites either force you to the mobile version or don't even connect at all on <= IE8. According to https://caniuse.com/usage-table, IE11 only has a 1.4% usage share, all previous versions are <= 0.1%, plus literally the only people who would even be running IE6 will be on Windows XP which everyone should have stopped using 10 years ago, and Windows 7 (also now EOL) can run IE11. Unless you have high traffic from countries with extremely outdated technology who still rely on Windows XP, then you're wasting your time on anything older than IE11.
Unless you're developing specifically for users in China there is no reason to support IE6.

IE6 is old enough to vote.
(2020-01-24, 03:03 PM)NoRules Wrote: [ -> ]
<!– [if lt IE 9]>
Please do not disturb...
<![endif]–>

wow, I'm surprised, and happy to know that people are not focused on the IE browser.
Those were good times, when the world was ran on IE. I guess the good times never last forever.

(2020-01-24, 04:52 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-01-24, 02:43 AM)Michael2014 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey gang, when you develop your site, do you develop for IE6?

As in do you try to make your website IE6 friendly?
Really funny, I love this joke.
[Image: giphy.gif]

I like funny stuff too LOL, also, the reason I asked was, I found all this trash coding within the global style sheet of a custom theme, and it was all geared toward IE 6 compatibility, and I want to remove it, but I wanted to know what others think before I removed the code because it is not validated to W3 standard, and it has parsing issues.

/** Special IE6 Style Positioning **/
.ie6 {
	position: absolute;
}

.ie6.top-right {
	right: auto;
	bottom: auto;
	left: expression( ( 0 - jGrowl.offsetWidth + ( document.documentElement.clientWidth ? document.documentElement.clientWidth : document.body.clientWidth ) + ( ignoreMe2 = document.documentElement.scrollLeft ? document.documentElement.scrollLeft : document.body.scrollLeft ) ) + 'px' );
	top: expression( ( 0 + ( ignoreMe = document.documentElement.scrollTop ? document.documentElement.scrollTop : document.body.scrollTop ) ) + 'px' );
}

.ie6.top-left {
	left: expression( ( 0 + ( ignoreMe2 = document.documentElement.scrollLeft ? document.documentElement.scrollLeft : document.body.scrollLeft ) ) + 'px' );
	top: expression( ( 0 + ( ignoreMe = document.documentElement.scrollTop ? document.documentElement.scrollTop : document.body.scrollTop ) ) + 'px' );
}

.ie6.bottom-right {
	left: expression( ( 0 - jGrowl.offsetWidth + ( document.documentElement.clientWidth ? document.documentElement.clientWidth : document.body.clientWidth ) + ( ignoreMe2 = document.documentElement.scrollLeft ? document.documentElement.scrollLeft : document.body.scrollLeft ) ) + 'px' );
	top: expression( ( 0 - jGrowl.offsetHeight + ( document.documentElement.clientHeight ? document.documentElement.clientHeight : document.body.clientHeight ) + ( ignoreMe = document.documentElement.scrollTop ? document.documentElement.scrollTop : document.body.scrollTop ) ) + 'px' );
}

.ie6.bottom-left {
	left: expression( ( 0 + ( ignoreMe2 = document.documentElement.scrollLeft ? document.documentElement.scrollLeft : document.body.scrollLeft ) ) + 'px' );
	top: expression( ( 0 - jGrowl.offsetHeight + ( document.documentElement.clientHeight ? document.documentElement.clientHeight : document.body.clientHeight ) + ( ignoreMe = document.documentElement.scrollTop ? document.documentElement.scrollTop : document.body.scrollTop ) ) + 'px' );
}

.ie6.center {
	width: 100%;
}

(2020-01-24, 06:20 PM)Whiteneo Wrote: [ -> ]As Microsoft has many products in EOL IE was one of the worst explorers ever and now it's replaced by Edge a chromium project based like Chrome and many other explorers.

It's not easy to deal with all explorers anymore due some special rules / restrictions.

But don't waste the time into old explorers all new sites, explorers requeriments to make navigation in nice way are too much and all users actually needs to use a nice CPU to use internet imo.

But of course you are free todo but your site will be not friendly at all even phones have a best explorer and you can install your favorite one too.

I don't use IE since many years ago and i think actually most of the people use chrome, but i always use Mozilla because i like it since i use linux, but now i use Windows due my games gallery only runs into M$ environment with Mozilla Firefox.

Thanks so much Neo, you are absolutely right, and I appreciate the knowledge, and well written reply my friend. So explorer is just non-essential, got it! And game gallery? I gotta check that out. Sounds cool!
Yeah Michael2014 you are wellcome, and i meant to Steam, Origin, Ubisoft, Blizzard, some emulators like cemu, etc that can't be played into any other environments like Windows does it.

And many of my apps to develop don't work in any other environments, maybe in mac but i prefer to work into a Linux environment 1000% due i like it. But for play i have used all posible OS and only Windows take all my CPU to work as it have to Smile

Anyways if you want to develop for old IE you can do it aswell to learn more and get more experience on the way, i think mybb have to remove those deprecated old codes as old php native codes to keep it up to date for new php environments i think those old codes have to been removed.
That CSS is part of MyBB's core CSS file, but is from jGrowl, for the little toast notifications. There's a comment right above it:

/** jGrowl Start **/

.ie6 {
}

jGrowl was first released in 2013 so wasn't so unreasonable to have IE6 styles, they just haven't been removed (and probably won't be as jGrowl hasn't had an update in over 3 years). In fact, I haven't even used jQuery on a new site for several years either. The world has moved on.
(2020-01-27, 03:03 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]That CSS is part of MyBB's core CSS file, but is from jGrowl, for the little toast notifications. There's a comment right above it:

/** jGrowl Start **/

.ie6 {
}

jGrowl was first released in 2013 so wasn't so unreasonable to have IE6 styles, they just haven't been removed (and probably won't be as jGrowl hasn't had an update in over 3 years). In fact, I haven't even used jQuery on a new site for several years either. The world has moved on.

Ah, I see now. That is intersting! Thx man!
If I ever developed for IE6, it was by accident lmao.
(2020-02-11, 09:15 PM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]If I ever developed for IE6, it was by accident lmao.

what is the latest version of IE you build for?
Pages: 1 2