MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Uploading FA5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello.
I've tried and tried and tried to upload FA5 to my site and just can't understand the instructions or carry them out. I've uploaded several themes to my site and haven't had many problems with that. But FA is another matter. I've done my best to follow the instructions given (several different ones) but none of them make sense to me or work. Can you give me a simplified set of instructions to install FA5?
Thank you
(2020-01-28, 05:31 PM)Edward Gestalt Wrote: [ -> ]Hello.
I've tried and tried and tried to upload FA5 to my site and just can't understand the instructions or carry them out. I've uploaded several themes to my site and haven't had many problems with that. But FA is another matter. I've done my best to follow the instructions given (several different ones) but none of them make sense to me or work. Can you give me a simplified set of instructions to install FA5?
Thank you

ok, let us try this yet again

primarily you have a root directory something like say htdocs or public_html right, ok so inside that you have your forum in some directory probably named forums or community or whatever you named it. ok, now at least in my themes packages I use the same directory structure as the mybb core download pkg like so: *same for my plugins, but that is off topic, lol

DistPkgName.zip
                       - DistPkgName
                       -- Documentation
                       -- Upload
                       --- themes
                       ---- themename
                       ----- themefiles

same when you download mybb itself:

MyBBDistPkgName.zip
                       - MyBBDistPkgName
                       -- Documentation
                       -- Upload

Now when you download and extract mybb you do not upload "documentation" you only focus on the "upload" folder and rename that folder to say "forums" and then ftp that to your server say for example: public_html/forums or htdocs/forums right?

ok, now let us think of the same concept for the theme..

Now when you download and extract my themes you do not upload "documentation" you only focus on the "upload" folder and rename that folder to say "forums" and then ftp that to your server say for example: public_html/forums or htdocs/forums right? Because the rest of the directory structure is already intact and if uploaded correctly will not cause issues
(2020-01-28, 07:08 PM)vintagedaddyo Wrote: [ -> ]
Thank you

primarily you have a root directory something like say htdocs or public_html right, ok so inside that you have your forum in some directory probably named forums or community or whatever you named it. ok, now at least in my themes packages I use the same directory structure as the mybb core download pkg like so: *same for my plugins, but that is off topic, lol

DistPkgName.zip
                       - DistPkgName
                       -- Documentation
                       -- Upload
                       --- themes
                       ---- themename
                       ----- themefiles

MyBBDistPkgName.zip
                       - MyBBDistPkgName
                       -- Documentation
                       -- Upload

Now when you download and extract mybb you do not upload "documentation" you only focus on the "upload" folder and rename that folder to say "forums" and then ftp that to your server say for example: public_html/forums or htdocs/forums right?

Now when you download and extract my themes you do not upload "documentation" you only focus on the "upload" folder and rename that folder to say "forums" and then ftp that to your server say for example: public_html/forums or htdocs/forums right? Because the rest of the directory structure is already intact and if uploaded correctly will not cause issues

Thank you for your time and patience.
After trying this at least 20 times I contacted my host server and they told me I cannot UL folders to my file manager.
So I archive the renamed upload folder (forums), uploaded it to my file manager and extracted it.
All the files are now extracted into html_public/forums/themes/FA5Dark.
I went to my ACP and changed my image directory to images/FA5Dark and did a hard refresh . . . but still no icons.
So, I changed my image directory to forums/images/FA5Dark and did a hard refresh . . . but still no icons.
I tried half a dozen other paths but none of them worked.
Is there something else I need to do to activate the icons?
Again, thank you for your time and patience.
Smile
(2020-01-29, 08:03 PM)Edward Gestalt Wrote: [ -> ]
Thank you

DistPkgName.zip
                       - DistPkgName
                       -- Documentation
                       -- Upload
                       --- themes
                       ---- themename
                       ----- themefiles

MyBBDistPkgName.zip
                       - MyBBDistPkgName
                       -- Documentation
                       -- Upload

After trying this at least 20 times I contacted my host server and they told me I cannot UL folders to my file manager.
So I archive the renamed upload folder (forums), uploaded it to my file manager and extracted it.
I went to my ACP and changed my image directory to images/FA5Dark and did a hard refresh . . . but still no icons.
So, I changed my image directory to forums/images/FA5Dark and did a hard refresh . . . but still no icons.
Smile

No, no, no..., sigh!   Huh Undecided  as I have already stated before, none of my themes use the images directory as cluttering the images directory is asinine and have a seperate themes directory with theme folders is something that should have happened ages ago with this software for a much more organized approach and is something that was planned for 2.0, but we won't get into further why the images directory is a bad play. Anyhoo, the theme directory path is already correct in the theme so why on earth did you change the themes directory path as that will break the theme

All my themes are house in the root forum directory in forumroot/themes/themename

theme path and file path are both for example

forums/themes/fa5dark

without correct theme path and the files being in the correct location you will have a broken theme as I have explained numerous times already in pm and also in public forum responses

Also why are you trying to do this via file manager as that requires more time and more complications than simply using file transfer protocol say like https://filezilla-project.org/ as that will make life so much easier

https://www.ostraining.com/blog/coding/f...-beginner/
https://www.wired.com/2010/02/ftp_for_beginners/
(2020-01-29, 09:50 PM)vintagedaddyo Wrote: [ -> ]
Thank you

DistPkgName.zip
                       - DistPkgName
                       -- Documentation
                       -- Upload
                       --- themes
                       ---- themename
                       ----- themefiles

MyBBDistPkgName.zip
                       - MyBBDistPkgName
                       -- Documentation
                       -- Upload

Smile

No, no, no..., sigh!   Huh Undecided  as I have already stated before, none of my themes use the images directory as cluttering the images directory is asinine and have a seperate themes directory with theme folders is something that should have happened ages ago with this software for a much more organized approach and is something that was planned for 2.0, but we won't get into further why the images directory is a bad play. Anyhoo, the theme directory path is already correct in the theme so why on earth did you change the themes directory path as that will break the theme

All my themes are house in the root forum directory in forumroot/themes/themename

forums/themes/fa5dark

without correct theme path and the files being in the correct location you will have a broken theme as I have explained numerous times already in pm and also in public forum responses

Also why are you trying to do this via file manager as that requires more time and more complications than simply using file transfer protocol say like https://filezilla-project.org/ as that will make life so much easier

Thank you for the information. I'll try to learn from the links.
(2020-01-29, 11:52 PM)Edward Gestalt Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-01-29, 09:50 PM)vintagedaddyo Wrote: [ -> ]
Thank you

DistPkgName.zip
                       - DistPkgName
                       -- Documentation
                       -- Upload
                       --- themes
                       ---- themename
                       ----- themefiles

MyBBDistPkgName.zip
                       - MyBBDistPkgName
                       -- Documentation
                       -- Upload

Smile

forums/themes/fa5dark

Thank you for the information. I'll try to learn from the links.

No worries and good luck, best to do it yourself that way else you would need to provide ftp access to whomever helps you or install something like https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=577 to allow the person helping you to upload files, but, the negative caviat of that plugin is you cannot batch upload, so it is manual one by one and that is a major annoyance so again why I suggested ftp as the fastest most simply route for file transfer, permissions, upload and overwrites