MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Fake profiles requests
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I've been using MyBB for a while as part of my online school. Some time ago I started to get fake profiles requesting registration in the forum and since then it has only increased. Today it's hard to identify what is a real student and a fake profile.
What would you suggest me to do to get rid of those robots?
basically you have to find it from username, email ID & IP address of the registered user.
most of the recently registered users names (#) appear as spam bots to me

see administrating spam @ MyBB forum

if direct help required,
create a admin user account in your forum & PM me credentials
I suggest to add Google Recapta.
I added it on my forum an I haven't seen any user bot yet
(2020-02-17, 01:19 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]basically you have to find it from username, email ID & IP address of the registered user.
most of the recently registered users names (#) appear as spam bots to me

see administrating spam @ MyBB forum

if direct help required,
create a admin user account in your forum & PM me credentials
I am actually receiving requests for registration to the forum, they're not in the forum yet because I delete them. They've been so many that the hoster sent an email to me reporting that my website caused faults by excessive usage of ram.
Any idea?

(2020-02-17, 01:27 PM)Mastersly Wrote: [ -> ]I suggest to add Google Recapta.
I added it on my forum an I haven't seen any user bot yet
How did you add it to your forum?
Quote:... hoster sent an email to me reporting that my website caused faults by excessive usage of ram
there can be multiple factors for high RAM usage. host should be able to trace actual cause

Recaptcha:

register your forum at Google ReCaptcha & get the keys

forum admin panel >> configuration (settings) >> General Configuration >> CAPTCHA Images for Registration & Posting

select noCaptcha ReCaptcha or Recaptcha invisible & fill up its public key & private key ; save the settings

Edit:
Security Question for registration should be also changed (eg.)
[its setting is at Configuration section of forum admin panel - left column menu]
(2020-02-21, 11:20 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:... hoster sent an email to me reporting that my website caused faults by excessive usage of ram
there can be multiple factors for high RAM usage. host should be able to trace actual cause

Recaptcha:

register your forum at Google ReCaptcha & get the keys

forum admin panel >> configuration (settings) >> General Configuration >> CAPTCHA Images for Registration & Posting

select noCaptcha ReCaptcha or Recaptcha invisible & fill up its public key & private key ; save the settings

Edit:
Security Question for registration should be also changed (eg.)
[its setting is at Configuration section of forum admin panel - left column menu]
Google ReCaptcha seems to be working now. I hope it solves the problem.

Thank you!!
I would also consider using some Invitation system.