MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need help switching hosts from LAMP VPS to Cpanel host
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last weekend i created a forum running on a linux VPS with a LAMP stack, but soon realised its better to switch to dedicated webhosting.
Right now im just testing things out doing a dummy run and imported a database backup and entered the correct database username and password over in config.php

but i still get the error:

[READ] Unable to connect to MySQL server
1045 - Access denied for userĀ  (using password: YES)

Any ideas?

I thought i could just replace the backup to a new install and be good to go

My main question is, regarding username and password, is this stored in the database itself and encrypted? Or does the database engine itself handle the passwords?

Edit - i found I had to drop all tables in the database, and then do the import.
This is what it looks like now, its all garbled with plain text.
http://planetpc.co.nz/home/index.php
Verify your bburl in ACP > Settings. And in inc/settings.php file
(2020-02-21, 11:14 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]Verify your bburl in ACP > Settings. And in inc/settings.php file
Ive just checked that, and it all appears to be correct.

Im testing this out on a different domain and ip than the original site, is there anything else I need to check?
Hello,
are you sure all the files are uploaded correctly? The server returns a 404 error on most of the JS and CSS elements on your page. I can see that your forum is located in /home/, and assuming that's a directory and not an alias - are all the files in that directory? For example, the jscripts folder?
i just realised that the cpanel install is version 1.6 that im testing with and the original site is 1.8.
Would this do it?
Not quite sure what you mean there - is the DB 1.6 and files 1.8? I'm not too sure if that's the issue it would create, but it definitely is an issue you would want to fix.
(2020-02-21, 11:52 PM)mTurtle_ Wrote: [ -> ]Not quite sure what you mean there - is the DB 1.6 and files 1.8? I'm not too sure if that's the issue it would create, but it definitely is an issue you would want to fix.
cpanel quickinstall only installed mybb version 1.6 not 1.8

the original db was from a 1.8 install and ive inadvertently imported it into a 1.6 system on this server

At the time i thought it would not matter, as its just the database im moving over.

Im basically want to test moving ths over to a new server/webhost before i do it for real and screw things up.
Is there any guide for this?

Its a little bit different than before, as im using a webhost with cpanel this time indead of a lamp server.

ive just tried a fresh install with 1.8 and import the backup and it does the same thing.

What else do you need to copy over from another server?
I thought it was just the database thats required?
Seems to work ok with no errors, but no graphics only text.
^ MyBB's Stock theme should be working fine.

perhaps, it would be better to take files backup from the old server &
upload to the new server by replacing existing files
caution: do not replace settings.php file & config.php file in inc folder

you may have to update forum version if related prompt appears ..
(2020-02-22, 03:14 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ MyBB's Stock theme should be working fine.

perhaps, it would be better to take files backup from the old server &
upload to the new server by replacing existing files
caution: do not replace settings.php file & config.php file in inc folder

you may have to update forum version if related prompt appears ..
I got it working finally.
Seems you have to copy the whole contents of your myybb folder, except as you say for settings.php and config.php

ive done a couple of dummy runs today and have been testing it out with another domain, and it appears to be working.

Not sure how long it will take for the the DNS changes to take effect, but so far looking good.