MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: making my board mobile friendly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ive got the default theme running currently on my forum and everyone is happy with it, but getting complaints that its not very mobile friendly.

Ive seen there are plugins/themes like gomobile, but do they change the default theme if you are on a regular computer?
I dont want to change the theme or style that its currently using, but if it can switch to a mobile friendly theme when on a mobile device, I would be happy.

Any suggestions?
Your choices are limited to your skills with both web development and MyBB in general.

If you feel comfortable with HTML/CSS a little JavaScript and understand MyBB coding, then you can start the never-ending journey of making every page on your forum look good on most mobile devices. This will involve lots of conversion from tables to style and likely a few media queries in your CSS.

If you are sort of new, there is still hope. You can just try out some of the responsive themes available on MyBB. Maybe there is a theme that looks nice enough that you wouldn't mind swapping.

If you must have the same look as the default theme, maybe petition theme devs on this site to see if anyone has made or is willing to make a default responsive theme. Perhaps someone has already made this and is willing to give/sell you a copy.

I hope this helps.
Hopefully there is an easy way.
I know nothing about CSS and only a little about HTML.
I can cut and paste code easily enough as long as I know where its required, but thats about it.

Edit: from what i understand, version 1.9 will have a responsive theme as default.
How far are we away from that release? Might be OK just to wait.
Quote:... How far are we away from that release?
sorry, not in near future.

as Wildcard has suggested, its better to find a good looking responsive theme & use it
OK, so this one looks like my best bet?
https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?acti...w&pid=1314
Quote:... display fine on tablet sized devices and bigger mobile devices
looks like it is expected to work fine for 7" & above width screens
(2020-02-26, 02:31 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:... display fine on tablet sized devices and bigger mobile devices
looks like it is expected to work fine for 7" & above width screens
Yeah, i tried it and it was not a huge improvement on my mobile and it said it was not compatible for 1.8 anyway, but still installed.

I will take another look at go mobile, apparently its supposed to switch to a different theme only if it detects a mobile device.
(2020-02-26, 01:56 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:... How far are we away from that release?
sorry, not in near future.

as Wildcard has suggested, its better to find a good looking responsive theme & use it

Same suggestion from my side.
@OP: You can try a free responsive theme from MyBB mods and that would be the best option while starting the forum.