MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Sign up to view rest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am not sure whether this is a modification to be made or just something simple.

For example I run a tutorial section, now people come find that sections from the search engines visit it and leave.

What I wanted to do is just to create a preview of the tutorial like display the first 200 words and then to got to register or login to view the rest of the article.

Could be possible, but would you want the preview to show in all threads, or just threads in forums you specify?
I would like it for all the threads if possible, but if you can control which threads to have such a feature that would be even better. Big Grin

I have seen many other forums have such a feature, so i though it would be great to have one since this might make more people to register.
Will see if I can make this for you. Smile
Wow that was too of a fast reply :lol: . Thanks musicalmidget such a think might increase my members as currently I set my whole forums to registered member but the main way people arrive to my forums is because of the search engines - google, msn and yahoo and some other small ones which I have never heard off.

I relised it would have been a bad idea making the forum viewable to only registered users as the bots would not be able to access the content of my forums and basically the bots only come to my forums because I keep a regular update of my tutorials and lecture notes.

Anyway thanks musicalmidget again. Smile
Not a problem. I was online at the same so didn't see any point in waiting until later to reply. :p

Anyhow, I've got this mod more or less completed already. Smile

Something I meant to ask though, was do you want this mod to show just the first 200 characters of every post in the thread and then show the login/register prompt (on each post), or just the first 200 characters of the first post of a thead, with no posts showing after that at all?

It seems to be possible either way... Wink
Quote:or just the first 200 characters of the first post of a thead, with no posts showing after that at all

I like that idea, basically I needed such a modification because I use my forum as a website too. I write all my article and tutorials on it.

Since my tutorials seem to have good ranking on google and visitors flock by. Instead of allowing them to read the whole tutorial and leave I would like them to register as a favour or as a punishment either way.

But yeah a mod which shows the first 200 words or any number I just told that number since it came first in my head of the first post in the thread will be great.

So is it displays the first 200 words of the first post on the thread and then a login/register box, basically thats what I want. If possible could you add a way as to where you can specify the amounts of words which can be displayed, as for some articles the introduction goes more than 400 words. Yeah so that will be great Big Grin.

Since mostly and currently all the posts are all my tutorials. Thanks again musicalmidget.

Thats what I like about small communites everyone is helpful and fast at there work.

Cheers,
Smile
I'll see what I can do. It hopefully shouldn't be long until you see this one released.

Currently it just counts 200 characters and then adds a prompt to login or register. If the message is less than 200 characters then the prompt is simply added to the end of the message. If you'd like it to instead count 200 words then I'll change it around a little.

I've posted a screenshot of how things are looking so far. At the moment the prompt is just a small message, but I could probably change this to a login/register prompt similar to that on the no permissions page if you would prefer. Smile

[attachment=104]
Yeap, its looking really good exactly how i wanted it. 200 words was what I was looking for but I am happy with 200 characters as long as the guest gets the feel of what the article is, I am happy.

Its better than my current option of the whole forums available to registered users.

Quote:At the moment the prompt is just a small message, but I could probably change this to a login/register prompt similar to that on the no permissions page if you would prefer.

Yeah a graphical login/register would make it look more attractive.

Thanks musicalmidget. HAVE A NICE DAY
I'll change it to 200 words, and see how the prompt looks as a login box rather than a message.

Hopefully, I should be able to complete it this evening when I get home. "Watch this space". :p
Pages: 1 2