MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Message...I'm sorry, but you are banned....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We just switched servers and now getting this regardless of logged in or not.. Regardless of proxy or not.

"I'm sorry, but you are banned. You may not post, read threads, or access the forum. Please contact your forum administrator should you have any questions."

I've tried with both scrutinize IP on and off. We were going through CloudFlare (bypass direct to server), but have been going straight through Namecheap DNS for last day.

Additionally, no IPs have actually been banned over last couple days. In other words, this is the message we're getting, but neither the user nor the IP is actually banned according to backend.

Any ideas?
Stop forum spam does this on its own, IIRC. Does the issue persist if you disable this functionality?
It may be a caching misconfiguration on the new server (Varnish, mod_cache, or other).

In core MyBB, that message is specific to an IP ban, so you can review existing bans and look for over-broad IP ranges. If you're able to debug code, is_banned_ip() would be the function to look at (first to see if $ip_address parameter values look correct).
(2020-03-15, 06:07 PM)Devilshakerz Wrote: [ -> ]It may be a caching misconfiguration on the new server (Varnish, mod_cache, or other).

In core MyBB, that message is specific to an IP ban, so you can review existing bans and look for over-broad IP ranges. If you're able to debug code, is_banned_ip() would be the function to look at (first to see if $ip_address parameter values look correct).

Thank you for this detailed reply. I have forwarded it to tech support at Namecheap.

In the actual IP banned list (Admin > Banning > Banned IPs) there is nothing banned (at least, nothing new.)

Are your two paragraphs two separate possibilities, or they are related?

EDIT: Tech support says they do not use server side caches...

(2020-03-15, 05:58 PM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]Stop forum spam does this on its own, IIRC. Does the issue persist if you disable this functionality?

Thank you Darth. Stop Forum Spam is not set to check IPs
(2020-03-15, 06:12 PM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]Are your two paragraphs two separate possibilities, or they are related?

Unrelated.

You can temporarily append var_dump($banned_ip['filter']); exit; in inc/functions.php at https://github.com/mybb/mybb/blob/mybb_1....php#L6861 to make MyBB output the IP address (or range) that triggers the ban.

If nothing shows, try Disable All Plugins in Configuration → Settings → General Configuration.
(2020-03-15, 07:31 PM)Devilshakerz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-03-15, 06:12 PM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]Are your two paragraphs two separate possibilities, or they are related?

Unrelated.

You can temporarily append var_dump($banned_ip['filter']); exit; in inc/functions.php at https://github.com/mybb/mybb/blob/mybb_1....php#L6861 to make MyBB output the IP address (or range) that triggers the ban.

If nothing shows,  try Disable All Plugins in Configuration → Settings → General Configuration.

The first solution is beyond me, but all IPs are causing this.

I have tried disabling all plugins as you suggest. The result still the same.

I check via proxy each time to make sure not a cache issue.

Any other suggestions, or is there any way to disable this banning functionality?
Are the users who are seeing this message using tor browser ?
See if recent user IP addresses (e.g. for your account in Users & Groups → Users → Edit Profile & Settings: Last Known IP) point to something like Cloudflare datacenters (you can use e.g. https://ip-api.com). That would indicate MyBB is not saving them correctly.

Otherwise, if you're familiar with restoring database backups, you can make a copy of the mybb_banfilters table to start temporarily deleting IP bans selectively in the ACP, or executing a query that would delete all of them:

DELETE FROM mybb_banfilters;

After changing/restoring the table content, rebuild the bannedips cache in Tools & Maintenance → Cache Manager.
Yes, it is showing my IP as 162.158.63.4, which is a CloudFlare IP... However we have been switched back to Namecheap DNS for well over a day now.

EDIT: But, that is my account which was not logged in since yesterday at 9AM... (36 hours ago, probably prior to the server change and DNS change back to Namecheap)
DNS changes may take a while, so the traffic may still be going through Cloudflare. That would suggest their IP addresses were banned (and Scrutinize User's IP address? generally allows MyBB to save IPs correctly when using Cloudflare).
Pages: 1 2