MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Changing file permissions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have used PuTTY to change the file permissions using SSH and they appeared to be accepted using chmod (no errors) however using filezilla I checked the files and they stil show 700 in the file permissions column.

I'm new to PuTTY and not sure if I did it correctly!
Is there a way of checking the current permission for a directory?
(2020-04-05, 05:23 PM)thudson1066mfc Wrote: [ -> ]I'm new to PuTTY and not sure if I did it correctly!
Is there a way of checking the current permission for a directory?

Assuming the operating system you're connecting to via PuTTY is Linux or at least some UNIX-like OS, then you can type:

ls -ld [directory-name]

where you should replace "[directory-name]" with the path to the directory you want to check permissions for.

The first column in the results gives permissions. First there will be a "d" to indicate that it's a directory, then there will be three sets of "rwx", where a dash instead of the character indicates that the permission is off. "r" stands for "read" permission, "w" for "write" permission, and "x" for "execute" permission (which for a directory basically means you can "cd" into it). The first set of "rwx" is for the directory's owner, the next set is for the directory's group, and the final set is for everybody (else).