MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Question on your Terms of Service
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I understand that "hate" speech is not permitted.  Such a thing can be very broadly defined.  For instance, if someone expressed the view that, societies would be "better" if they were homogeneous, would be guilty of engaging in "hate speech", correct?
If you have to ask the question, then you probably already know the answer.
Short answer is that it's open to an interpretation.

We would interpret that on *our* community - not this one - as a form of hate speech, and such posts would be removed.
So even an academic discussion of such a topic is forbidden, correct? In other words, only popular ideas can be expressed, correct?
(2020-04-06, 02:16 AM)K9Buck Wrote: [ -> ]So even an academic discussion of such a topic is forbidden, correct? 

There isn't an academic discussion that can take place.
(2020-04-06, 02:29 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-04-06, 02:16 AM)K9Buck Wrote: [ -> ]So even an academic discussion of such a topic is forbidden, correct? 

There isn't an academic discussion that can take place.

Are you saying that it's not possible or that it violates the TOS or both?

I ask because I would be interested in creating a forum to discuss the topic of concepts such as white nationalism, white supremacy, black supremacy, etc. in order to better understand those concepts as well as the people that believe in such things.  My hope would be to persuade such people that their belief system is invalid.  However, based on the TOS, it sounds like this would be a prohibited topic.
(2020-04-06, 02:34 AM)K9Buck Wrote: [ -> ]I ask because I would be interested in creating a forum to discuss the topic of concepts such as white nationalism, white supremacy, black supremacy, etc. in order to better understand those concepts as well as the people that believe in such things.  My hope would be to persuade such people that their belief system is invalid.  However, based on the TOS, it sounds like this would be a prohibited topic.

Ah, you misunderstand.

So, you can download and install MyBB and use it for whatever you like; the Terms of Service largely reflect what you can do here, on this website.

To receive support here, you must also conform to the Support Eligibility Policy: https://mybb.com/support/eligibility-policy/
I didn't "misunderstand".  Your communication skills need improvement.  

I asked a simple question.  I'll ask again.  If someone expresses support for white nationalism, will that constitute a violation of the TOS as set forth by "mybb.com"?  It should be a simple question to answer.  It's your sandbox.  What's the answer?
(2020-04-06, 03:05 AM)K9Buck Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't "misunderstand".  Your communication skills need improvement.  

You did, you're confusing the Terms of Service for what you can do with the software.

Quote:I'll ask again. If someone expresses support for white nationalism, will that constitute a violation of the TOS as set forth by "mybb.com"?

If you do that here, or seek support for your website here, it would likely contravene the terms of service and support eligibility policy, yes - but that's a judgement for those who can moderate posts.

Quote:It should be a simple question to answer.

Ah but you see, what you've done is you've set some confusion up by stating you intend to commence a community; which indicates that you may (or may not) need support, so at that point, our question is - do we really care what you do on your own website, to which the answer is no, unless you require support.
By the way, Ben, do you work for this site or are you simply stating your personal opinions?

Ok, Ben, if I utilize mybb.com to host my website, I MUST adhere to their TOS, correct?
Pages: 1 2