MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Question about Beta testing new plugin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi again,

As I finished the plugin, I want to be tested (besides what I’ve already done), and I don’t know the best way to do it. Should I ask in a post for beta testers? Should I make public the plugin warning that is a Beta? Should I do anything different?

Thanks for your answers.
You can upload to github and wait for testers for you can make an stable and working on version to make it public.

Honestly not all users want to test only if they are interested into a project. I have helped to test several projects for many users and i never had used their projects but as i know how hard is tgat proccess of testing phase i always try to help.

But it's at your own because if you have tested it and sanitized, protect all code entries maybe it's a secure plugin to give it a try, but always is better the github repo for other users due they can sent PRs and more to contribute with all projects they like Smile
Hi Whiteneo,

great idea, but I want to keep the project focused inside MyBB, I don't want to take care of it in Github as I don't want to waste time looking in another web what's going on, as it's only a small plugin from a noob.  Wink

Thanks anyway  Smile
Well, GitHub is nice because other users will often write fixes for the plugin. So if you ever have beta testing needs and want other developers to get involved, it’s great. Not usually too bad once you get the hang of it. Most plugin developers just post a link here and call it a day.

It sounds like you wrote the plugin for your own board and are going to be releasing it as well. This is one of the best ways to approach beta testing. Sometimes just using it for a couple of weeks on your own website can help a lot in terms of beta testing, and you’ll catch not only bugs, but random usability optimizations and opportunities for improvement.

The important thing is that you are testing. Wait until you feel like it’s ready, then wait a few more days just to make sure (you’ll always find something) and then release. Best of luck with your plugin! Smile
(2020-04-06, 12:14 PM)NoRules Wrote: [ -> ]Hi again,

As I finished the plugin, I want to be tested (besides what I’ve already done), and I don’t know the best way to do it. Should I ask in a post for beta testers? Should I make public the plugin warning that is a Beta? Should I do anything different?

Thanks for your answers.

release the plugin and if people are interested in the plugin they will use the plugin and report back any problems
i think that is the best way of getting your plugin tested
^ looks like the plugin is already released => Yet Another Sitemap (YASM)
I myself feel adventurous some times and release my stuff after testing in my local environment and setting them in my live sites.
Hi all, sorry I was busy "polishing" the plugin...  Wink

(2020-04-06, 06:48 PM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]It sounds like you wrote the plugin for your own board and are going to be releasing it as well. This is one of the best ways to approach beta testing. Sometimes just using it for a couple of weeks on your own website can help a lot in terms of beta testing, and you’ll catch not only bugs, but random usability optimizations and opportunities for improvement.

The important thing is that you are testing. Wait until you feel like it’s ready, then wait a few more days just to make sure (you’ll always find something) and then release. Best of luck with your plugin! Smile
Right Darth Apple, I tested it a lot, and of course when I packed it up and tested again I found a lot of things that I miss to remove or change. Thanks for your tip.  Smile

(2020-04-10, 07:43 AM)8guawong Wrote: [ -> ]release the plugin and if people are interested in the plugin they will use the plugin and report back any problems
i think that is the best way of getting your plugin tested
Right 8guawong, that's is what I'm goingo to do.

(2020-04-10, 07:45 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ looks like the plugin is already released => Yet Another Sitemap (YASM)
Yep .m., hope it's OK  Smile