MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Having To Hard Refresh To Load Posts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For some reason, my forum is refusing to load any new posts or edits I make, and I can not figure out why this is happening. Nothing has been changed on the forum for it happen, so I don't get what is going on and why: https://universalgaming.net/

So far I find that if I use the quick reply/edit feature, the post or edit will not display anywhere without refreshing. For example, I make a new post. I see it submit. I go to the index and it doesn't show my post as the most recent. I enter the forum area that thread is in, same thing. I enter the thread, and my post is gone. I have to refresh the index, forum area, and the thread itself to get each one to show me what is meant to be there.

The content is saving, but for some reason a refresh is required to actually see the forum update in each respective area that the new content would affect. I thought it was my browser, but my phone is showing this too so I have no idea. I also haven't seen this happening on other sites I use so it isn't like this is my internet being dodgy with everything I'm visiting today.

Edit: I had a moderator test for me and they had the same exact outcome I've been having, so I'm guessing maybe this is my server causing the problem and not the software nor my own internet?
This could be a number of things. I'm not sure of the exact cause, but it's possible that it's either the result of using a page caching solution (unlikely) or if the quick reply isn't saving, that it's an ajax related issue.

Did you recently update MyBB, your software, install a new plugin, or otherwise change something recently?
(2020-04-13, 03:43 PM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]This could be a number of things. I'm not sure of the exact cause, but it's possible that it's either the result of using a page caching solution (unlikely) or if the quick reply isn't saving, that it's an ajax related issue.

Did you recently update MyBB, your software, install a new plugin, or otherwise change something recently?

I have made no updates to the software, my plugins, nor my server in over two weeks. Prior to the weekend everything was fine, but I noticed this issue today, so it either began over the weekend or today.

My host installed a new certificate 4 days ago, but that was just a renewal so I don't see why that could be it. My server is running PhP 7.0 but my host says that's being phased out and changed to 7.2 over the summer, but I doubt that has to do with this either.

I asked my host if they changed anything recently without my knowledge but have yet to hear back.

Edit: Any time I load my board it does it almost instantly, whereas other sites including here take at least a noticeable moment to load up. If not for the split second a loading circle appears in the tab I'd swear I wasn't even reloading the site.
I took a look at your show thread pages. I'm curious if it's an ajax issue. I'm seeing javascript errors in the console related to "last avatar image" of some sort. Is there a plugin installed for this?

No idea if this is the issue or not. It may take some debugging on this one.
My plugins are as follows:

MentionMe
MyAlerts
NewPoints
Online Today
OUGC Awards
Page Manager
Warn For New Posts
Spoiler MyCode
Thread Description
Upcoming Events

The only one of those I know uses avatars is MentionMe for when it gives a list of who you want to tag, but we've had that for months and nothing was touched with it in weeks.

I'll see if maybe disabling my plugins changes anything just in case and report back.

Update: So I changed my PhP from FastCGI to regular, and oddly things are working again properly? I did disable my plugins too but I did my test after both of these events transpired, and enabling my plugins again hasn't broken anything so either one of them bugged out or it was the PhP or I'm just randomly lucky right now or it resolved itself and nothing I've done actually caused it.
try setting Send No Cache Headers to yes at
Server and Optimization Options page of configuration section in forum admin panel

after saving, wait for a few minutes & check if it helps.

Edit: reg. showthread javascript error
remove code like below from showthread template of the theme
<script type="text/javascript">
	$(".author_avatar img").error(function () {
	$(this).unbind("error").closest('.author_avatar').remove();
	});
</script>
PHP could very well cause this issue if the version changes. The reasoning behind it is a little technical, but Ajax requests such as quick reply expect the response from the server to come in an exact format. Newer PHP versions kick out warnings for things that previous versions ignored, and this interferes with the format that Ajax requested from the server and causes it to terminate rather than finishing the execution.

This is usually an issue with plugins and not with MyBB core. I recently had to update one of my plugins to resolve this, so it’s fairly common. In the meantime, leaving it at another version should resolve the problem as you’ve stated.
I did what you said. Also in case you missed it in my last post, I changed my PHP to regular instead of FastCGI, and after that I stopped seeing problems so I think that might have been causing the problem. Hopefully whatever the fix was, the problem is over now. Thank you for the help both of you! Smile
Quote:changed my PHP to regular instead of FastCGI
as you said, clearly FastCGI was the cause.
in general, FastCGI is not really useful for dynamic forums