MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyISAM or InnoDB for MyBB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all, 

There seem to be a lot of differing opinions on whether InnoDB or MyISAM is better for forum installations. Most tables are much more read-heavy than write-heavy, but there are a number of tables where this does not seem to be the case. MySQL has been phasing out MyISAM and defaulting to InnoDB for some time now, so I’m not sure if there are advantages to switching the default MyBB tables from MyISAM to InnoDB? 

If this is in the wrong section, please move! Didn’t see a thread already, figured I’d ask. Smile
InnoDB, or even better - PostgreSQL.
Hi,

InnoDB.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47680213/what-are-the-current-differences-between-myisam-and-innodb-storage-engines-speci
InnoDB for sure. <3
Thanks guys. I'll try to switch it and report back on performance.
Innodb is a must if you have a large forum since it uses row level locking rather than locking an entire table.
Thank you for the pointers @Dragonexpert.

We switched it to InnoDB last night. My board is fairly small (about 5-6 members and about ~50 guests online during peak hours). We did not have many concurrency issues with the size of the board, but we had random problems with pages sometimes freezing during busier hours.

InnoDB seems to be doing well. I was very surprised to find that after we increased the buffer pool size, the performance was actually better than MyISAM. I've always heard the opposite, but we saw about a 5% reduction in page generation times and about ~20% increase in general query performance.

If anyone is looking at this thread to get an idea, we found that it worked very poorly unless we increased the buffer pool size. If you have adequate RAM designated towards the database, it outperformed MyISAM for us.

Thanks for the advice everyone!