MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Rating calculation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wanted to know how does member rating system of MyBB work? I have seen that one person rated 4 stars twice, is shown 4 stars out of 5. On the other hand, one member rated 5 once, is shown as 5 out of 5. In fact if we count individual stars, than the first guy has got 8 stars in total whereas the second has only 5.

This is particularly important because two mods, Top Members by Ratings and User Titles By Ratings relay on member ratings. So in order for these mods to work correctly, the rating system should be working and understood properly. Top Members by Ratings by MM has already some flaws which I hope will be sorted out once Gold is released.
The user ratings system will calculate the average rating of each user. If a user has been rated as 4 starts twice, then the average rating for that user is 4 stars. If a user has been rated once as 5 start, then that user's average is 5 stars.
And if a user has been rated 5 stars and 1 star? What will be his average?

Secondly, going by your explanation, the average-5 star person should be on top, or for that matter, all the five-star persons should top the list following by 4 and so on - this is something that is not happening on my site using your mod. See the picture attached.
If my maths is correct then the average rating for a user who has been given 5 stars once and 1 star once, would be three stars.

I see what you mean about the bug in the top members mod. I will aim to get this bug ironed out as soon as I get the chance.
As 5+1 has been divided to 2, averaging 3, than how come one person getting 4+4 should average only 4? From a non-mathematical point of view, he has got 8 stars overall while the other fellow has 5. But going by average, 5 will be on top and 8 will be second. Will it be fair? Well excuse my stupid maths and questions, but tell me do you think rating system needs a revamp?
First vote =
Vote / total votes = average vote
5 / 1 = 5

Second vote =
(Vote + previous total) / total votes = average vote
(5 + 5 ) / 2 = 5

Third vote =
(1 + 10 ) / 3 = 3.6

Thats how it should work
decswxaqz Wrote:First vote =
Vote / total votes = average vote
5 / 1 = 5

Second vote =
(5 + 5 ) / 2 = 5

Third vote =
(1 + 10 ) / 3 = 3.6

Thats how it should work
That is indeed how it works.
A member has something like this for rating: 5|2|1 The five is the total rating, the 2 is the number of users that rated that member and the 1 is something I don't know what it is for. :p
Don't worry chiefsaab, my UTTMR works around this.
chiefsaab Wrote:while the other fellow has 5

The other has 6 (5+1) Smile