MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: pull database from mybb forum to insert in fresh mybb forum install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We have a forum that is stuck in 1.8.7. I am wondering if the easiest solution would be to pull the database and put it in a fresh install of mybb on a rolling release of linux such as Arch Linux? 

We are still on MyISAM so i am wondering if this has to be converted to InnoDB before this process?

IS there anything else that has to be done before this process?
(2020-04-28, 01:50 AM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]We have a forum that is stuck in 1.8.7. I am wondering if the easiest solution would be to pull the database and put it in a fresh install of mybb on a rolling release of linux such as Arch Linux?

Personally I suggest using MyBB's upgrade script for updating. Unless core data columns in MyBB's tables of the database haven't been altered massively, the upgrade script will do its job well for you.

Anyway, the Merge System (https://mybb.com/download/merge-system/) could be used here for merging your forum to a new install. But please be alarmed, by using the Merge System you will probably not get all data merged into the new install. Because this system is designed to import very core data fileds.

(2020-04-28, 01:50 AM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]We are still on MyISAM so i am wondering if this has to be converted to InnoDB before this process?

It doesn't matter if your database tables are on MyISAM or InnoDB, both are fine.

(2020-04-28, 01:50 AM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]IS there anything else that has to be done before this process?

Here's a list that I'd check before upgrading:
  • Altered core data columns in MyBB tables. If there's any, it'll probably be reverted back.
  • Compatibility for plugins. If there's any plugin not compatible with the latest MyBB version, you probably can't use it.
  • Compatibility for Themes/templates. If you've done many modifications to your themes/templates, you'll need to done them again in upgraded board. Another issue you should care about is MyBB 1.8.16 introduces some crucial changes, read this thread: https://community.mybb.com/thread-218862.html .
  • Set up an environment for upgrade test, using a backup for testing.

When you decide to do something like upgrading, please:
  • Backup your webroot and database.
  • Switch default theme to MyBB's default one.
  • Deactivate all plugins.