MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: change 'new reply with quote' into 'new reply'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

When viewing a post several buttons to start an action are being shown (edit, reply, quote, report).
One of the buttons is 'reply' (with quote)
I want to prevent unnecessary quoting in threads.
So I want to link the button 'reply with quote' to the action 'new reply'.
The action 'new reply' is linked to 2 separate buttons in the window.
After the link has been set to the button 'reply with quote' I want to remove the 2 separate 'new reply' buttons.

Can someone please tell me where and how I have to adapt this ?
Let me try to get a better understanding. You want to achieve following:
  1. Remove two "New Replay" buttons above and below the list of threads.
  2. The "Reply" button in each postbit should function as no post will be quoted.

Do you?
template => postbit_quote
<a href="newreply.php?tid={$tid}&amp;replyto={$post['pid']}" title="{$lang->postbit_quote}" class="postbit_quote postbit_mirage"><span>{$lang->postbit_button_quote}</span></a>
change to
<a href="newreply.php?tid={$tid}" title="{$lang->postbit_button_quote}" class="postbit_quote postbit_mirage"><span>{$lang->postbit_button_quote}</span></a>

Edit: above codes are from Stock Theme of MyBB. custom themes can have variations.

removing new reply button at the top & bottom of the thread is not really necessary.
yet, if you want to remove them then in showthread template you can remove div elements with
{$newreply}
note: there are two occurrences of div elements with {$newreply}

[MyBB Templates System]
@Noyle,

Thank you for your quick  'reply without quote'. Wink
Yes, that is exactly what I mean.
Formulated alternatively:

In the threadview I want to present to the user only 1 button to reply to a post in a thread.
That should be the button left to the 'report' button.
That 'reply' button should trigger the 'new reply' action and not the 'reply with quote' action.

@.m.

Thank you for your detailed suggestions.
I will implement them, test them and report the results here.

@both

After implementation and evaluating the result, I consider to make this a suggestion for the default in myBB.
In many fora I see moderators urging users not to quote. It's an unnecessary burden for moderators and introduces irritation that is not productive (mostly in the early stages of membership in a forum).

@.m.

I used your suggestion and it seems to function flawlessly.
Thank you so much Smile
(2020-05-05, 08:51 AM)snb Wrote: [ -> ]@Noyle,

Thank you for your quick  'reply without quote'. Wink
Yes, that is exactly what I mean.
Formulated alternatively:

In the threadview I want to present to the user only 1 button to reply to a post in a thread.
That should be the button left to the 'report' button.
That 'reply' button should trigger the 'new reply' action and not the 'reply with quote' action.

(...)

@.m.

I used your suggestion and it seems to function flawlessly.
Thank you so much Smile

Happy to hear that!

I was thinking you may need the "replyto" function which is used in threaded view mode (tree view mode) for thread showing. It may be helpful for you to know the fact, though you may not need:
  • The threaded view for showing posts in a thread is basically based on the "replyto" function, which is achieved by replying through clicking the "Reply" button in each postbit.
  • Replying by clicking the "Reply" button in each postbit will normally result in the post being quoted, which is not what you want. To remove this feature, core file modification is required.
  • Threaded view will be removed in future major MyBB updates.

Since you don't really care about the threaded view mode (tree view mode), method provided by @.m. is easy and does great work.
@noyle

I made a mistake: instead of threadedview I meant the viewthread.php page.
I'm sorry that I confused you....