MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why does MyBB constantly upgrade?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, first, I want to say thank you to the staff, and members like Neo who constantly do good work, and evolve the forum software and plugins. The hard work and dedication from you all is greatly honored by us.

This is just a quick question, why does software continually upgrade? Grant it, people want to add in new features and security patches, but would there ever just come a time when you could say, the software is finished? Or, is that just the thing with software, it is constantly evolving and changing, hence there will never come a time when the software is finished.

The reason I ask is, it was just a question I have always wondered. And I like where MyBB is going, and am amazed by how far it has come. The question is, how far will it go?

Perhaps in 20 years from now, MyBB will be running the ultimate AI framework, with cyborg plugins, and we will be able to implant our forums under the skin using a microchip, and communicate with members using mind to mind telepathy. Sorry, wishful thinking. Wishful thinking.
no changes => finished => dead
(2020-05-17, 02:16 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]no changes => finished => dead

Simple yet profound. Your statement reminds me of looking at dead plugins. But what kills the plugins? The upgrading of the software.

But what kills good software? You said when it is finished. Which based on the way plugins follow software, and software follows the internet protocol then I would have to agree.

Can you give me an example of some softwares that were killed because they were finished edition?
Well, software that isn't changing is dead. M. stated it all. Smile

Software naturally evolves. Frameworks that software is based on evolve. The users evolve. Nothing is truly "done." There are ALWAYS things to improve, expand upon, or change, no matter how "good" something is at any given moment.

Even if those changes/opportunities are rather small and miniscule, they still exist. If those changes cease to be made in response to seemingly small opportunities, the software is simply no longer evolving, and it will be left behind by software that is evolving and responding to user's requests.

I often prefer older versions of software because they are simple and "get the job done," but at the end of the day, it comes to a point when even this is no longer feasible. Users and the needs of them are constantly changing. If the software doesn't change in response, it generally gets left behind.
software is seldom announced as finished stating it is perfect.
we often see "no longer developed due to lack of time / interest ..."

there is always scope for improving.

for MyBB,
if you find old good plugins are killed due to upgrading
MyBB then such plugins can be rebuilt to match new code.
however it could be difficult to get volunteering coders ..
(2020-05-17, 03:29 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]software is seldom announced as finished stating it is perfect.
we often see "no longer developed due to lack of time / interest ..."

there is always scope for improving.

for MyBB,
if you find old good plugins are killed due to upgrading
MyBB then such plugins can be rebuilt to match new code.
however it could be difficult to get volunteering coders ..

I see now. Clearly.

And also, that actually is the best way to put it. Plugins can always be brought up to code. But
The lack of volunteers can kill a plugin, or even software.

(2020-05-17, 03:27 AM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]Well, software that isn't changing is dead. M. stated it all. Smile

Software naturally evolves. Frameworks that software is based on evolve. The users evolve. Nothing is truly "done." There are ALWAYS things to improve, expand upon, or change, no matter how "good" something is at any given moment.

Even if those changes/opportunities are rather small and miniscule, they still exist. If those changes cease to be made in response to seemingly small opportunities, the software is simply no longer evolving, and it will be left behind by software that is evolving and responding to user's requests.

I often prefer older versions of software because they are simple and "get the job done," but at the end of the day, it comes to a point when even this is no longer feasible. Users and the needs of them are constantly changing. If the software doesn't change in response, it generally gets left behind.

You really hit home on some good points, especially.when you said that users needs change with the times, and with that, so does the software, it also changes with the users needs. Thanks for sharing the well thought-out response Darth.

I'm clearly understanding the scope of it all now.
Quote:But what kills the plugins? The upgrading of the software.

Not quite, if there is demand for such plugins in subsequent core updates then vendors shall deliver the necessary updates.

If there is no valuable demand then any an all scripts shall eventually perish.

Quote:Can you give me an example of some softwares that were killed because they were finished edition?

Digital games perhaps? But is isn't being finished what kills any script, it is demand.

MyBB could be finished tomorrow. Yet, as demand drops the software will equally follow into oblivion. The same applies to any technology and pretty much to any kind of product (cars, clothing, dishes, etc).
Because if you call it quits then your project dies. People get bored when things aren't changing.
(2020-05-17, 06:43 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:But what kills the plugins? The upgrading of the software.

Not quite, if there is demand for such plugins in subsequent core updates then vendors shall deliver the necessary updates.

If there is no valuable demand then any an all scripts shall eventually perish.

Quote:Can you give me an example of some softwares that were killed because they were finished edition?

Digital games perhaps? But is isn't being finished what kills any script, it is demand.

MyBB could be finished tomorrow. Yet, as demand drops the software will equally follow into oblivion. The same applies to any technology and pretty much to any kind of product (cars, clothing, dishes, etc).

Ah, thanks for the clarity, the picture is very clear now. This question I have is completely relevant to the topic, so I was wondering, what Drives MyBB updates the most?

But thinking about it, I believe MyBB is driven by user demand, just as you stated, MyBB updates are purely driven by demand and what the people want, and everything that goes along with that.

As far as plugins, I see now. Plugins don't die because of MyBB software updates, they simply die when they are no longer in demand.

Now I see.

(2020-05-17, 05:56 PM)AntDev Wrote: [ -> ]Because if you call it quits then your project dies. People get bored when things aren't changing.

Good point! People get bored so easily when things are not changing. Hence, projects die because no one is interested in things that don't stay fresh.
Also note that there are still forums which work on MyBB, 1.4 or 1.6 even today. So demand could be what stops a product from evolving, but usage is what actually kills it.
Pages: 1 2