MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My Excel Translate Tool - for google translate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
MyBB Translate Tool - UPDATED TO V.4  [attachment=43945]

Hi everyone - I am sharing my Excel Translate assistant with the community.  Hope its useful in the noble plan of spreading MyBB all around the globe!

Attached to this post is the Excel document.  Its purpose is to assist with translating MyBB php files and make it google translate friendly.  It is a "macro" Excel workbook, so you will need to accept the macro warning upon opening the book. 
All of the code is open, I hope that one day others will improve and make the tool better and better Smile

I made a quick 15 min video that shows how it works.  Any questions welcome below.

Notes
  • I used <> as a deliminator when links and other stuff was removed, make sure you have equal amount of <> in your translation.
  • Currently the export exports all files to the same directory and does not create the admin directory.
  • Google does not like & sign. You will find 45 lines include &amp / &hellip / &code / &my / &nbsp in non admin files, best to do those manually.  A way to filter them out is to add a column with the following formula and select in filter on top only "Google translate Friendly":
    =IFERROR(FIND("&";[@[To Translate]];1);"Google translate Friendly")

Bugs?
If you find bugs, please let me know in the comments.

Download
I removed the older versions as they were very different and I don't have the time to assist in updating both types. Versions 4+ only.

[attachment=43034]
[attachment=43945] (with UTF-8, includes files to translate)
I have updated quite a bit, I'll upload a new version when I finish my translation. If anyone is testing/using and would like the current-version just comment and I'll update.
I'd prefer my alternative tool
Thank you for your contribution you both. Though I was unable to successfully use any I'm sure people could find this useful.

Regards.
(2020-05-27, 10:16 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for your contribution you both. Though I was unable to successfully use any I'm sure people could find this useful.

Regards.

Hi Omar, Could you please try again with my new version 1.8?  
I updated the description to include a youtube demo of how it works, the link to the video is: 
https://youtu.be/LaemlqSqwwM

Best, Karl
I watched your video and tried your application once more and it seems to deliver what you promised.

It might be of use for translators, maybe we could get it stuck.
(2020-05-29, 11:11 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]I watched your video and tried your application once more and it seems to deliver what you promised.

It might be of use for translators, maybe we could get it stuck.

My code is all open source, if someone would like to improve they are welcome to do so.  I'm sure it can be improved a lot, this is a nice start.

I am new to MyBB so you would be in a better position to decide on if this is worthy for sticking and the process to do so, fine with me.

If it were to stick, I suppose I should edit my description one more time as my video describes most of what my description says. The space would be more useful for FAQ of what to watch out for and recommendation of 64bit version of excel and such.  Best would be to get tips from those that bump into issues that need clarification.

I'll wait with that until we know if its actually useful for others than me, perhaps someone will use this idea and create something even better - like a web version of the same thing, and then this can all RIP  Angel
Hi, I have used the tool twice now (two different versions) and following either the video or text instructions have demonstrated to work for me.

I have stuck the thread so it can be easier for translators to find.
Great tool! My files get exported as UTF-16 LE. Is there a setting I have missed? Thanks!
(2021-01-04, 10:25 PM)henriksan Wrote: [ -> ]Great tool! My files get exported as UTF-16 LE. Is there a setting I have missed? Thanks!

Thanks for the tip - the new version 4.1 exports using UTF-8.