MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Lean & mean myBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all.

I would like to do this suggestion.
Maybe it also can help speed up the development process of myBB 1.9

I would like to have a mean & lean myBB version.

That means:

- no avatars
- no reputation system
- no member titles
- no signatures
- no friendslist
- no ignorelist
- no promotion system
- no warning system

- no portal
- no agendas
- no birthdays
- no poll system

- no videos
- no Youtube
- no ICQ
- no Skype
- no Hangout

- no jump to forum
- no memberlist
- no statistics
- no whoisonline
- no permissions
- no away/present messages

- no posticons
- no custom PM-folders
- no multiple 'read' options
- no mass mailings
- no group'leaders'
- only 1 display option: linear
- no redirect page

I'd like a version for the essentials of a forum:

- creating threads
- posting answers in threads
- adding attachments
- communicating  by PM or by email

- forum announcements
- stickies in fora
- banning users

Now it takes me a lot of time to remove/disable the non-essential options.
From my point of view: less is more. The simpleer the UI, the less moderation time is necessary.

Besides:

If I setup a forum in a specific country, it is obvious I don't have to bother members with questions like:

Dateformat
Timeformat
Timezone
DST
Language

So I would like to do those settings as administrator in the groupmanagement.
Great idea in general!

1. You can disable all options in ACP you don't need and remove all the stuff from all the templates you don't want to be displayed for a lean design with reduced function. That's no big deal. Nevertheless all PHP files/code remain the same. So there is no reduction of the core system at all.

2. Ohhh, it takes incredible effort and time to also get rid of PHP code that is not needed. It equals a complete reneweal of the forum system - kind of unviable. Who will spend time to do so? Who will manage upgrades? My guess: Nobody will!

In terms of your desire, it would be the easiest way to disable all functions you don't need and make your forum design as lean as possible by designing the templates to fit your needs.
For example have a look at the forum in my signature as an example of lean design.

[ExiTuS]
Tell me where I can disable the friendslist/ignorelist.
Tell me where I can disable avatars to a group , the agenda, the posticons, the redundancy in templates (3 ways/places to search, 3 ways/places to change directory), the warning system, etc. etc.
Adapting the templates takes a lot of time.
Quote:Adapting the templates takes a lot of time
yes, agreed.
eg. removing post icons table columns in relevant templates is
a tedious process. I'd simply hide post icons related table row
in the template & ignore the table columns in relevant templates

[Edit]
post icons removal guidance for a old version of MyBB :
completely removing post icons
Thank you.

But my point is:
If the forum would be built module wise e.g. enabling/disabling posticons shouldn't be more than a checkbox in the ACP.

I know how to adapt templates, but I think an administrator shouldn't be bothered by it. The forumsoftware should perform the implementation. Preferably not by removing things, but by disabling elements.
No offence but I dont like that idea at all. No avatars? No siggies? No member titles? No thanks.
Undecided
I didn't start this thread as a poll.

If you think you have something to contribute I'd prefer you to formulate arguments, not only feelings/preferences.
Feel free to drop an official suggestion to the developers in this forum. This may be appreciated.

Yes, it would be best to put most functions as possible in single modules to separately switch on/off with one click. I guess in the course of the historic growth of MyBB many functions may have been seen as a core element of a forum software.

Nevertheless you have the choice of using the board system as it is or do neccessary changes manually by yourself:
- Turning of all options available in ACP,
- Dropping all unwanted elements/variables from the templates. In most cases it is just removing variables.

[ExiTuS]
What you are suggesting would require a lot of resources to maintain. I'd keep it as is and add missing settings, that is all.
To illustrate what I mean some screenshots of showforum. showthread, newreply and private
Pages: 1 2