MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can we delete dot folder in root directory?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I see many folders which start with dot (.) in my website root directory.
It was not shown before. It shown after installation SSL certificate.

[attachment=42944]

[attachment=42945]

And also inside public_html there is ".well-known+ folder which contain folder name "acme-challenge" and inside there is nothing,.

Can we delete them or not?
file / directory names starting with dot represents property of system (not user created) in linux and often contains sensitive / required data to run a process or system.
I strongly suggest not to mess with those unless you are absolutely sure what you are doing.
Something amiss there.  Would expect public_html to be your document root. 

Appear to be hosting panel screenshots, I'd contact them for an explanation. 

cheers...
Thanks effons.

@Nixer55.... I am not getting you. Please explain what you want to tell?
These are pretty standard for cPanel. I'd leave them, they're usually harmless to keep.
@Dr_The_One: your webroot is public_html, don't touch anything which is not in this directory (or in its subdirectories).
and the .well-known/ directory is for your ssl certificate, delete it if you want (I disapprove) but it will be back next time certibot will redo your certificate. So the better way is to don't touch it, unless you know what you really do.
(2020-05-30, 04:42 PM)Dr_The_One Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks effons.

@Nixer55.... I am not getting you. Please explain what you want to tell?

You're looking at your host server root directory, which I guess is what you mean by root of your web host.  Which is a different thing than the web root of course.  Be very surprised if installing a cert had anything to do with that.  Best leave them alone.

cheers...