MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Allow users to manage own orphan attachments they have uploaded
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A feature will be good to allow users to manage own orphaned attachments they have uploaded. This is helpful for the usergroups with restricted attachment quota, so that someone don't land up to a situation of having no attachment attached with any post while exhausted allotted quota.

[Image: Untitled.png]

This can be driven with a setting per usergroup basis.
Currently user can freely delete their attachments. Proposed change will allow Admins to define which usergroup can delete own attachment as well as whether they are allowed to delete orphaned attachments or not.
What About simple task which Will perform deleting?
Thought about that too, but it appeared more sensible to me to control own attachments by users to manage there quota themselves.
There might be some orphaned attachments that required to be restored, rare case, but current system has no option to download them as well.
Could be useful in the scenario you describe.
Just tried this out and I couldn't get an attachment to be orphaned by deleting a users post (the attachment was also deleted).

So by orphaned do you mean attachments in threads/posts the user cannot see: Unapproved, soft deleted, forums without access anymore etc...?
^ some times, uploaded files are not attached with the related posts.
[eg. problem with user's internet / network ; server problem / Merge issue .. etc]
(2020-06-06, 12:49 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]Just tried this out and I couldn't get an attachment to be orphaned by deleting a users post (the attachment was also deleted).

So by orphaned do you mean attachments in threads/posts the user cannot see: Unapproved, soft deleted, forums without access anymore etc...?

(2020-06-06, 01:05 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ some times, uploaded files are not attached with the related posts.
[eg. problem with user's internet / network ; server problem / Merge issue .. etc]

Uploaded some attachments when posting new threads/posts but eventually not make it posted, either by user exiting the posting process or errors happening that prevent MyBB's successfully linking the attachments to an existing post.
Ah right so we need two settings then
  • Can manage own orphaned attachments
  • Can manage own unviewable attachments

?
I mean, this could potentially be considered a bug. In certain scenarios all of the users attachments could become orphaned and hit the Quota limits and the user has no power to remove any he/she has uploaded.

Granted, it could potentially happen in a low amount of installs but a issue in my opinion nevertheless.
(2020-06-06, 02:35 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]Ah right so we need two settings then
  • Can manage own orphaned attachments
  • Can manage own unviewable attachments

Probably. As per the unapproved attachments or attachments from unapproved posts, I think users should be able to see them but not to bypass any edit restriction above these he can perform from the edit.php page.

But as for soft deleted post, users can't bypass these nor are they able to even see the posts, so probably attach quota for soft deleted posts shounl't be considered?
Pages: 1 2